Conduct Violation (Impugning another Student's Character)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Even though I had my case appealed, do you think that admissions boards will question my integrity?

• No, even though the case was appealed, its likely you're guilty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dr.Dean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the fall of 2013 a white male student began harassing me with persistent racist and racially insensitive remarks, verbal threats and intimidating behavior. I filed an official complaint against the student after he physically assaulted my fiancé and threatened the lives of the people who lived within my home. Less than 24 hours after his threats, my house burned down. The official fire report from the Fire Department ruled the cause of the fire to be unknown.

Soon after the fire, the student who had been harassing me filed a counter-complaint against me claiming that I violated his integrity. He claimed that I had made a Facebook post that insinuated that he tried to burn my house down. I never made such a post. Despite this, in the spring of 2013 a review board found me guilty of having a negative impact on a student’s integrity. There was no evidence against me in this case. The board came to this decision based on the complainant’s word alone. I appealed the board’s verdict immediately after I received the verdict. The Dean of Student’s promptly approved my appeal due to the lack of evidence in the case. All charges against me were dropped.

I know I did nothing wrong, but I'm utterly terrified of having to report that I was once found guilty of impugning a student's character. Even though I successfully appealed the case, I am worried admissions boards will be concerned about my integrity.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

That's not a guilty verdict anymore. It was overturned.

Next time anything like this happens to you or anybody you love, you lawyer up.

Reactions: 3 users
That's not a guilty verdict anymore. It was overturned.

Next time anything like this happens to you or anybody you love, you lawyer up.

It was overturned, but I still have to report it. I hate that I have to report this. I feel like the fact that I was found guilty at one point might make admissions boards question my innocence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is telling you that you have to report this. If your appeal was successful it's done.

Order an official copy of your transcript right now. See what's on it.

Get a meeting with the dean that writes your MSPE. Find out whether this series of incidents is planned for inclusion.

Unless you're being dishonest above, your school threw you under the bus. Lawyer up if your school doesn't make it right.

Why is this question in reapp?

You don't have to report that. Too bad your fiancé did not give him a beating when he was assaulted

I thought AAMC wanted to know of things like this, even if charges were dropped.

I thought AAMC wanted to know of things like this, even if charges were dropped.
Fun fact: what AAMC wants to know is published and available from AAMC: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

Search for "charge" "infraction" "background" etc.

Again, if the OP is being truthful, there were no charges because it was a college student affairs issue not involving criminal activity, and the school admitted it was in the wrong. There's no criminal record here. No police. Nothing on a background check.

What is on the transcript, what is on the verification of enrollment, what is on the dean's letter? What will come up in a background check?

What adults outside SDN who are familiar with the situation has the OP consulted on this matter?

Still wondering what this has to do with reapplying to med school. Not sure there's a med school in here anywhere. Honestly it sounds like a religious school staffed by people who never read the news. Regardless the OP should be soul-searching to learn what she could/should have done to avoid this situation.

Reactions: 1 user
the rules about reporting all charges are about criminal stuff.....not institutional

Reactions: 2 users
according to AAMC, I have to report if I were ever the recipient of any institutional action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupted my enrollment or required me to withdraw. It reads, "You must answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted or expunged from your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition"

Everyone seems to have the same consensus that you shouldn't report it since its been overturned meaning the case against you isn't true. So what conduct did you violate? It appears to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you in fact actually want to report this matter. Is that the case?