"Conferences Attended" Experience Type?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara3426

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this for conferences you attended and presented a poster/publication at?

Or is this conferences you WENT to?

guidance much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked my pre-med advisor this, and she said it's only for posters or presentations you've given. Too bad, I could've filled another activities slot otherwise.

I disagree. If this were the case, why would AMCAS provide separate options in the drop-down menu---one titled "Conferences Attended" and the other "Presentations/Posters"? Continuing, I think it is plausible that medical schools would be interested in knowing about your attendence at medically-related conferences as it gives them further indication that you are a motivated learner.

geeko said:
I asked my pre-med advisor this, and she said it's only for posters or presentations you've given. Too bad, I could've filled another activities slot otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
BuckerPark said:
I disagree. If this were the case, why would AMCAS provide separate options in the drop-down menu---one titled "Conferences Attended" and the other "Presentations/Posters"? Continuing, I think it is plausible that medical schools would be interested in knowing about your attendence at medically-related conferences as it gives them further indication that you are a motivated learner.

Agreed. I entered all conferences attended as well as those I participated in (not exactly presenting, but assisting a doctor with their presentation).

BuckerPark said:

Hmm, good point. I went to a mental health conference out of my own interest. I guess it might not hurt to put it down.

What about a case like this: My research was accepted in an Orlando conference, but I wasn't able to come. Should I still list it?

I wouldn't list the conferences that you didn't present at. In research, it is generally known that a "conference attended" are those that you presented at. Also, if you start listing conferences you attended where you didn't present, it would appear that you are grasping for experiences to impress the committee. This generally is looked down upon. It's probably better to have quality experiences rather than quantity.

Just my advice, take it or leave it. =)

If it is a major conference I would definately list it. I presented at several conferences but also included that I attended the annual ORS conference twice. At about half of my interviews they asked about the conference that I only attended.

Attending a conference might indicate to an adcom that you are a lifelong learner. If you are a non-traditional student who was working in a particular field and attended a professional conference in that field as "continuing education" then it might be worthwhile to list it.

Don't take up too many slots with conferences attended (you might put them all in one spot) or it looks like padding.

Again, I'll ask the question (this time for firebird69guy):
If AMCAS/Med Schools only want to know about where you've presented and, as you said, attending a conference implies a poster presentation, why do they have a separate item on the dropdown menu for 'posters/presentations'. Is one who attended a conference and presented supposed to list it twice? (rhetorical question).

...and sorry if I sound salty. I'm not trying to be.

firebird69guy said:
I wouldn't list the conferences that you didn't present at. In research, it is generally known that a "conference attended" are those that you presented at. Also, if you start listing conferences you attended where you didn't present, it would appear that you are grasping for experiences to impress the committee. This generally is looked down upon. It's probably better to have quality experiences rather than quantity.

Just my advice, take it or leave it. =)

im going to write an email to amcas to settle this once and for all

what if you went to the conference, where your work was being presented as co-author, but didnt actually do the prensenting youself??

southpaux said:
what if you went to the conference, where your work was being presented as co-author, but didnt actually do the prensenting youself??

it seems like this experience should be under "conferences attended."

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed a conference I attended and didn't present at. It was a non-science conference that very few students go to, and due to a leadership position at my school, I was essentially paid to go and felt that it contributed to making me a more interesting applicant (both the topic of the conference and the fact that I went). I was able to write in my AMCAS listing about what I got out of it.

For anyone who cares, this is what AMCAS said:
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

The 'conferences attended' category refers to conferences which you have attended. If you have made presentations, you would select the 'presentations/posters' category.

there you go

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys sorry to bump an old thread but I had a quick question.

When you impute "conferences attended" in the AMCAS application that you only went to, who do you impute as the contact info?

it asks you to list a supervisor and contact information if you put down you attended a conference...what to do???

Is anyone putting the UC Davis pre-med conference in this category? curious...

Is anyone putting the UC Davis pre-med conference in this category? curious...
That's a question that I have too!! It's a really informative conference and I feel like it could count if we put a good description of what we got out of it? But then I don't know who the contact name would be for that one...

That's a question that I have too!! It's a really informative conference [ UC Davis pre-med conference] and I feel like it could count if we put a good description of what we got out of it? But then I don't know who the contact name would be for that one...

UC Davis pre-med conference
That would be the poorest use of a slot on the AMCAS that I can imagine.

My thought is that even if you did not present, attending a meeting such as the American Public Health Association or the Radiological Society of North America, as a guest, would be worth mentioning.

My thought is that even if you did not present, attending a meeting such as the American Public Health Association or the Radiological Society of North America, as a guest, would be worth mentioning.
Why?

I'm not trying to be difficult. I have been to several of those types of conferences that you mention. They were really exciting. I had a great time meeting people, listening to talks, and learning about a wide topics totally separate from the work that I do.

I just don't see what it would have added to my application to list that I went. What is your thought process?

Why?

I'm not trying to be difficult. I have been to several of those types of conferences that you mention. They were really exciting. I had a great time meeting people, listening to talks, and learning about a wide topics totally separate from the work that I do.

I just don't see what it would have added to my application to list that I went. What is your thought process?

Well, compared with a pre-med conference, the professional society meetings are a chance to learn about a wide variety of topics and reflect on the life-long learning that is part of a career in medicine. If you feel that it was one of the 15 most important things you've done since HS graduation, go ahead and list it but if you have better things to list, that's okay too. The main point is don't list a pre-med conference no matter how helpful you found it.

FWIW, I think you guys are spending way too much time on this item. Nobody cares that you attended a conference if you didn't present something there or have a role in running the conference. Sure you can list it but it's really of such little importance to your application that you already spent far too much time on it if you are reading this sentence. Nobody will care. It won't get you into medicine. If you are tied with another applicant except that you attended the conference and s/he didn't it still don't impact the outcome for most Adcoms.