Conflicted between MD and PharmD - having major second thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calmdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker of this forum but want to ask for input on a situation I'm in right now.

I am currently a junior in a 4+4 BS/MD and am on track to move on to the next phase. I've done a lot of research into medicine and pharmacy and am aware that both of them aren't in the best positions right now (these are some articles that influenced me - 1, 2, 3, 4). I have shadowed several doctors and pharmacists as well. While I like medicine a lot, I don't feel a huge calling to it and think that I may have picked it for the wrong reasons. While I find the science behind it very interesting and I like working with people a lot, the thought of spending 4 years being a broke/stressed student in med school then a minimum of three years in residency isn't sounding all that great to me. For me, it never was really a passion but rather a meaningful career that I considered a mean to an end (basically good income and job security with a career that makes a difference).

I shadowed a few pharmacists, while there is a decent amount of saturation right now, I still think that it is pretty interesting and that it gives you the chance to have a fulfilling career. I also wouldn't mind owning my own pharmacy later on because I do like the idea of running my own business. I do not like the idea of relocating that much though and currently live in a pretty saturated city.

I am in a position right now where I was offered a position with my university that will allow me to attend the first three years of pharmacy school for free while receiving a ~$10K/year stipend as well as free housing, books and food. I know pharmacy isn't in the best state, but I'm having a hard time passing up this offer.

Am I making a huge mistake? What would you guys suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like pharm is definitely the better option for you. It's still hard coursework, mind you, but definitely not as bad as medicine. That scholarship deal sounds amazing, and it seems like you've already made your decision - go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacy is great if your a work to live personality type which it sounds like you are. If all you want to get out of your career is a good income, and semi fulfilling career pharmacy sounds up your ally. Plus I feel your fantastic scholarship offer outweighs the questionable job market.

Members don't see this ad :)
My oldest cousin graduated from a top school and was offered only three floating positions. No signing bonus and terrible hours. She is going to do a residency to get into a hospital program. She says there are just too many schools.

Pharmacy school is very oversaturated right now, but that said medical school and residency will be enormously hard to do if your heart is not into it.

My oldest cousin graduated from a top school and was offered only three floating positions. No signing bonus and terrible hours. She is going to do a residency to get into a hospital program. She says there are just too many schools.

Thanks guys for all of your input. This is probably my only concern at this point. I wouldn't want to put in all of that work and then end up with no job...but graduating with little debt should help even that out I hope.