Conflicting Accepted Student Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2133

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, another naive question here. I was just admitted to an md-phd program today that has overlapping accepted student days with another program I was already admitted to. I am thrilled to have both acceptances, but would I normally choose between the two before visiting, or is there a way to get the schedule for both and attend part of both? Or perhaps a third option like seeing if there is a backup revisit day? An old thread I found seemed to suggest that. Thanks for your expertise.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning to contact the school I live closest to and ask to reschedule for a different date.

Who else has conflicting revisit weekends? Since there are a lot of MD/PhD applicants here on SDN, do you guys want to coordinate our "alternate revisit" dates so that we don't have to visit the school alone? I think this would be beneficial for both the schools and for us: schools won't have to accommodate applicants on a bunch of random dates, and we will get to know some of our potential classmates.

If anyone's conflicting revisit date is on April 9 - 12, feel free to PM me! We might have been accepted to the same schools, and I'd love to coordinate an alternate revisit date with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, that 4/9-4/11 weekend is packed... there are some really great programs competing with each other for those days. These schools must have systems in place for dealing with that. Not trying to make any claims about any specific schools, but it seems like some of the "powerhouse" schools are directly conflicting with each other (on purpose?) while other programs have found ways to avoid those "hot" dates.

@MooseMan3 I'm attending a revisit that April 9-12 weekend. In the info email from the school I'm revisiting, they acknowledged the overlap and stated that applicants would have to pick which revisit to attend... But n=1 and I also didn't ask about other options, because thankfully I don't have a conflict that weekend. Good luck and congrats to those who have multiple to choose from that weekend! Hard decisions, for sure!

I have a question for you MD/PhD students/applicants: did you more like or dislike the lab portion of your undergraduate science courses?

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question for you MD/PhD students/applicants: did you more like or dislike the lab portion of your undergraduate science courses?

I'm clumsy. I broke so much glassware that they charged me money and threatened to kick me out. Two different semesters.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm clumsy. I broke so much glassware that they charged me money and threatened to kick me out. Two different semesters.

I remember my first day as a glassware washer. I thought the washing machine was just a bigger version of what we had at home. I put the 1000ml beakers, erlenmeyers, etc. on the spout tubes without a rack on top to hold them down. I fired up the washer (which sounded like a jet engine), and heard the sound of several hundred dollars of glassware being reduced to glitter. The PI was nice about it, but the lab manager wanted to neuter me.

I disliked the lab portions of all undergraduate courses and did my best to test out of them where possible.
If you're worried about labs in an MD/PhD program, I will be doing behavioral work with humans in my MD/PhD program so I don't have to worry about labs too much.