confused about attending work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

se80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone explain to me what it is that an e.r. attending would actually do? it seems to me that all the actual fun stuff is being done by residents and students. does all the procedure work stop once residency stops?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I have a lot of first hand experience, but the majority of emergency departments in the US are not at teaching hospitals... therefore no residents.

And even those hospitals that have residency programs, not all have EM or surgery residencies (many have FP, IM, peds, etc.), so the residents who rotate through may not be interested or in a position to do lots of the big procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
se80 said:
can someone explain to me what it is that an e.r. attending would actually do? it seems to me that all the actual fun stuff is being done by residents and students. does all the procedure work stop once residency stops?

thanks

To a degree, yes, but you have to sacrifice your love of hands on stuff for your love of teaching. You'll also have procedures to do that are selected out as being difficult (when the resident can't "get it.") which can be frustrating. But, you'll always have time when there residents are away and there's always July.

mike

and after a while, most procedures are no longer as exciting....

the stuff that's "fun" in residency, becomes less so once you are an attending

(procedures = more risk (ie liability), more time (ie. see fewer pts), sicker pts = more likely to die in your ED)

it may be cynical, but i think for the most part, true

I think the # 1 explanation is that the huge majority of EDs do not have residency training programs. Additionally, the first time I sutured and did an I+D I thought it was awesome. Now I have done enough of them I could do without. The ortho stuff still excites me and so does LPs, but those will likely wane too. Its the environment I really love.

I think the # 1 explanation is that the huge majority of EDs do not have residency training programs. Additionally, the first time I sutured and did an I+D I thought it was awesome. Now I have done enough of them I could do without. The ortho stuff still excites me and so does LPs, but those will likely wane too. Its the environment I really love.