About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about DPM starting dates

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by itsallgood19, Jul 12, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. itsallgood19

itsallgood19

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello:

I read somewhere I believe for NY school of podiatry that they have two classes, one that starts in september but also there is a january class...

I was wondering if this is common for other pod schools to do this? Are there any other schools?

And in terms of admissions, does this make it easier to land a spot into podiatry school? I honestly don't know of any MD/DO schools that enter 2 different classes like that...Does anyone know the real reason for having a January entering class - are the admissions standards lower for getting a spot in the january class or something??
  2. Sweettea247

Sweettea247

Pre-Podiatry
    No not lower standards of admission. The January class takes 4.5 years, a lighter curriculum for students. NY is the only school with two starting dates. The other schools accept students only once a year. I hope this helps =)
  3. Ntran1986

Ntran1986

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Ross and SGU (MD Schools) have January entering classes.
  4. MaxillofacialMN

MaxillofacialMN Osteopathic Foot Dentist

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I mean... those are Carib schools...?
  5. itsallgood19

itsallgood19

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks for the clarification i didn't know ny is the only one that does that...interesting
  6. ninjapod

ninjapod

Podiatry Student
    So what if they are Caribbean medical schools? what is your point?
  7. jellybean2020

jellybean2020

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Agreed. Although I can see how one might view pod schools as more legitimate, we shouldn't frown on Carib schools given the low admitting req's of pod schools. The difficulty their IMG graduates face in getting a stateside residency....now that's another story.
  8. MaxillofacialMN

MaxillofacialMN Osteopathic Foot Dentist

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Podiatry schools should probably always be striving for "better." my point is that they ARE considered less legitimate than stateside schools. Some Caribs don't even require an MCAT. Pod schools should desire to be better. I don't think I'm suggesting there is a correlation between January start date and school legitimacy, but rather when people offer Carib schools as "evidence" of something, I will be wary...