Confused about Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sp4175

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I came to college, I was pre-dental. Into my freshmen year, I got turned off by the field and switched to optometry as I always had an interest in the eye. However, after recently reading more about new schools opening up, the future of the field, and etc, I'm starting to second guess myself and wonder if I had stayed with predental. I take the OAT next month and apply to schools this upcoming cycle too. I realize it's too late to switch, as all my shadowing and extracurriculars have been based around optometry. Any thoughts on the field in the future? I can't tell if I'm just overthinking or if the problem is with all fields.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll give you my biased and subjective answer, in the interest of helping you, and because otherwise your post will sit here gathering dust.

I've been through this process, and this is my advice: Think about what you see yourself doing every day for the next 40 years. Whether it be Dentistry or Optometry, make sure you shadow enough to know whether or not you will be happy doing that kind of work for the rest of your life. It isn't too late to switch. Taking a year off and getting the career you want is better than suffering for the next several decades.

Research research research. And then do some more research. That doesn't mean reading SDN all day. It means searching different sources for information, looking up the facts, and talking to as many people (knowledgable people) as possible. There are serious challenges facing Optometry, and if you are blind to these when you start school you will have a rude awakening when you hit the job market. There are more Optometry forums available that are much more informative than SDN.

There are positives and negatives associated with any profession. Just make sure you find out what they are and make an assessment. Dentistry and Optometry are both beneficial to society, and you won't starve in either one. If you think you won't have to work hard to make money in either, you're wrong. In any case, do everything possible to minimize the debt you will incur while in school. Many argue that an OD + 200,000 in student loans is not worth the investment. Do the math.

Hope this helps.