Confused about podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwc1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to podiatry school, but I want to make sure its the right choice (I take forever to make life decisions). I have the stats for DO school but I would much much rather do podiatry than primary medicine or most other specialties (I've shadowed several). Considering most of the DO schools I'm competitive for have a primary medicine match rate of +60%, I'm strongly leaning toward podiatry. However, after reading some old posts from 2007 I'm a little worried.
Here are my questions:
1. Is the notion that podiatrists are not "real" doctors disappearing.
2. Have we/will we ever achieve parity.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to podiatry school, but I want to make sure its the right choice (I take forever to make life decisions). I have the stats for DO school but I would much much rather do podiatry than primary medicine or most other specialties (I've shadowed several). Considering most of the DO schools I'm competitive for have a primary medicine match rate of +60%, I'm strongly leaning toward podiatry. However, after reading some old posts from 2007 I'm a little worried.
Here are my questions:
To be honest, I haven't seen many issues in the hospital setting with parity or being "real doctors". The podiatrist I know are highly respected by not only their peers, but their medical counterparts as well. The change is ultimately going to start with those in the profession. Podiatry is changing everyday. The medical and surgical scope is expanding and will continue to expand in the years to come. Podiatry has come a long way. I know a podiatrist that is practicing now that did not complete a residency because it was not required when he started. This same podiatrist still performs surgery and has a diverse patient pool. He has been practicing for 20 years and says the field has grown astronomically since he started practicing. I feel very good about where the field is going. I hope this helps.

Podiatrists are physicians, medical doctors, doctors, surgeons...whatever you want to call them. They are medical professionals. Podiatry is newer than osteopathy, remember podiatrists were called chiropodists as recently as early 1900s. The first podiatry school (NYCPM) was created in the early 1900s as well, celebrating its 100 year anniversary in 2011 I believe.

With any emerging field you are always going to run into stigmas and negative opinions but if you've shadowed a podiatrist recently you will see the medicine that they practice is the same as any other physician. DOs are still looked at negatively/differently by "old time" MDs as well - and osteopathy is also a fairly new field.

Podiatrists are motivated with the same compassion and improvement to one's quality of life than any other practicing physician. Its up to you to decide how important other people's false ideas are to your success.

You can still pursue a DO degree after your four years of podiatry school, some schools have a connection to the medical schools (like Barry) where this is possible. But throughout your 4 years in podiatry school that idea to pursue DO/MD might change for you!

The truth is as a podiatrist you are going to basically be a specialized orthopedic surgeon and I don't think I have to remind you of the income that orthopedics make. ;) The podiatrists I have see as a patient in the office have "Board Certified, Foot & Ankle Surgeon, Diplomate, American Board of Foot & Ankle Surgery, Fellow, American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeon" after their names. You can decide to pursue more of the surgery route as a podiatrist or the private practice/office life as a podiatrist...or both. It really is a great field.

Podiatry is absolutely an emerging field and I would't be surprised if more podiatry schools open in the near future and if the requirements for GPA and MCAT are more rigorous.

You are what you make of the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Oh how I wish I was a naive pre pod again

Reactions: 2 users
If you are a good podiatrists you can have a more successful practice and make more money than many orthopedic surgeons (I know a few who do) without spending a million years in residency and being on call all the time. There are a handful of podiatrists that suck that give the profession a bad name, but you can find that anywhere. Although some people think podiatrist aren't "real doctors" that only really matters if you allow it to bother you. Why do you care what other people think? Just out work them and show them that you are a real doctor and surgeon!

OP, get off this forum and go shadow some more podiatrists and ask them what they think of the future of podiatry. Making decisions based off of what you read on a forum is not a good idea. Ask some doctors who are actually practicing or has been in the field for awhile.

OP, get off this forum and go shadow some more podiatrists and ask them what they think of the future of podiatry. Making decisions based off of what you read on a forum is not a good idea. Ask some doctors who are actually practicing or has been in the field for awhile.
I live an overly saturated area (pod school near by), so the opinions so far have just basically been "if you do it. do it somewhere else". It's been hard to get much more than that. I probably should have asked this in the physician section.

Oh how I wish I was a naive pre pod again
Can you expand on that. What are your opinions?

I live an overly saturated area (pod school near by), so the opinions so far have just basically been "if you do it. do it somewhere else". It's been hard to get much more than that. I probably should have asked this in the physician section.

Can you expand on that. What are your opinions?

Yes, you should post this in the physician section as pre-pods are in general overly optimistic (not that it's a bad thing) but they generally do not have first hand experience. You should find some good resources over there as a few do occasionally post there. Good luck.

Podiatrists are physicians, medical doctors, doctors, surgeons...whatever you want to call them. They are medical professionals. Podiatry is newer than osteopathy, remember podiatrists were called chiropodists as recently as early 1900s. The first podiatry school (NYCPM) was created in the early 1900s as well, celebrating its 100 year anniversary in 2011 I believe.

With any emerging field you are always going to run into stigmas and negative opinions but if you've shadowed a podiatrist recently you will see the medicine that they practice is the same as any other physician. DOs are still looked at negatively/differently by "old time" MDs as well - and osteopathy is also a fairly new field.

Podiatrists are motivated with the same compassion and improvement to one's quality of life than any other practicing physician. Its up to you to decide how important other people's false ideas are to your success.

You can still pursue a DO degree after your four years of podiatry school, some schools have a connection to the medical schools (like Barry) where this is possible. But throughout your 4 years in podiatry school that idea to pursue DO/MD might change for you!

The truth is as a podiatrist you are going to basically be a specialized orthopedic surgeon and I don't think I have to remind you of the income that orthopedics make. ;) The podiatrists I have see as a patient in the office have "Board Certified, Foot & Ankle Surgeon, Diplomate, American Board of Foot & Ankle Surgery, Fellow, American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeon" after their names. You can decide to pursue more of the surgery route as a podiatrist or the private practice/office life as a podiatrist...or both. It really is a great field.

Podiatry is absolutely an emerging field and I would't be surprised if more podiatry schools open in the near future and if the requirements for GPA and MCAT are more rigorous.

You are what you make of the field.

Yes you can still pursue a DO degree or an MD after a DPM, but why get the DPM if you dont want to? Barry isnt associated with any medical school that allows some sort of transfer of any kind. NOVA has a DPM to DO program but from what I understand you would have to complete your DPM + DPM Residency (7-8yrs) then enter into their program (3+1yr internship + residency)....by then you'd be in school for 14+years and still might end up in family/internal medicine.
As a podiatrist you focus on the foot and ankle, in some states this is pretty limited. Orthopods have much more freedom in what they can do and they arent really restricted to the foot if they dont want to be.
Podiatry is growing in terms of scope of practice and respect but there is still a ways to go to gain full parity. I think this will be hard for a number of reasons but it may still be possible. I would be very surprised if another school were to open in the next 7 years given the residency issues and some schools dont fill every seat as it is.

I forgot about the residency issue Zaiko. Which is a BIG issue. Good call. With that being said and taken into consideration I do agree with you on how that will effect future podiatry schools opening!

When I went for a tour at Barry I was told by administration that they do have a DPM to DO program with Nova. But they didn't go into details into how it works. Becoming DO after getting my DPM degree isn't my goal. :)

Zaiko, can you explain why you think podiatry field hasn't gain full parity? I'm curious for your opinion. Do you think the public looks down on podiatrists when comparing them to a MD/DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh life decisions are hard...am I right?

When I say parity I mean in terms of the scope of practice considering the training one receives. Many physicians (MD/DO) and allied health have no idea what a podiatrist actually does. The public doesnt know what a podiatrist is trained to do. Many think its simply clipping toenails all day. I wouldnt say the public "looks down" on podiatry, just ignorant to what one does until they have a problem and goes to see one. In general, I think the only ones that "look down" on podiatrist are some pre meds...maybe a few older physicians.
I think the field faces are 3 things....1)General uniformed scope of practice across the US 2)public knowledge of what a podiatrist does 3)Everything can be done by another physician (Kindof hard to avoid). Often times people think that the fight for what DPMs can and cant do is with the orthopods..I honestly think its with allied health providers (nurses) too.

Ive said it before here, if the salary of the average podiatrist increased to about 250k+ more pre meds would be aware of it and the competition to get into the schools would increase tremendously. The average is closer to a little more than half that.

Ive said it before here, if the salary of the average podiatrist increased to about 250k+ more pre meds would be aware of it and the competition to get into the schools would increase tremendously. The average is closer to a little more than half that.
Is that salary estimation from personal experience because I thought the general consensus was that most residents are accepting offers of around 150k and some up to 210k. Mgma list the average at 250k.

Not that it matters I think I would be happy with either salary.

I firmly believe that significantly more outreach programs, mainly with podiatry student involvement, targeting grade school and undergraduate institutions will increase application numbers far more than a salary figure. The lack of public awareness is one of our greatest problems. Dental schools have seen soaring application rates with help from their oral hygiene programs, and it can sure as heck work in our favor as well.

Right now, as a pre-med student, I am truthfully a patient at large in the medical world. With that said, I really do not care how much DPM's like to believe they are "Medical" doctors. They are not medical doctors. The only real medical doctors are MD's.

I know Chiropractors like to refer to themselves as "Doctors" also. In reality, there are many folks that like to claim the name "Doctor." For example, the quacks that do reflexology almost "demand" that they be referred to as "Doctors." When in fact, they are nothing more than snake-0il salesmen that practice "push here, press there, and drink this, then take seven sips of water, and walk backwards 7 steps," (which, by the way, does stop the hiccups). Chiropractors, in my book, as a current patient at large, are nothing more than "Wack n' Crack" quacks. Do the math! Research how many people these "Doctors" have crippled for life!

At any rate, before anyone gets on a high horse, and "feels" the need to bash me, you can still pretend you are a "real" doctor if you're a DPM, I really do not care. As a patient at large, nonetheless, that's the way I look at you, a pretend doctor, just like Chiropractors. I do admit that DPM's have a lot more going for them than the Wack n' Crackers, but the truth is still the same: You are not MD's. Like I've read many times on this forum, stop pretending you are Medical Students. You are not Medical Students. You are DPM students. If you want to be an MD, then go to medical school. That's the only place where one will find true Medical Students.

Right now, as a pre-med student, I am truthfully a patient at large in the medical world. With that said, I really do not care how much DPM's like to believe they are "Medical" doctors. They are not medical doctors. The only real medical doctors are MD's.

I know Chiropractors like to refer to themselves as "Doctors" also. In reality, there are many folks that like to claim the name "Doctor." For example, the quacks that do reflexology almost "demand" that they be referred to as "Doctors." When in fact, they are nothing more than snake-0il salesmen that practice "push here, press there, and drink this, then take seven sips of water, and walk backwards 7 steps," (which, by the way, does stop the hiccups). Chiropractors, in my book, as a current patient at large, are nothing more than "Wack n' Crack" quacks. Do the math! Research how many people these "Doctors" have crippled for life!

At any rate, before anyone gets on a high horse, and "feels" the need to bash me, you can still pretend you are a "real" doctor if you're a DPM, I really do not care. As a patient at large, nonetheless, that's the way I look at you, a pretend doctor, just like Chiropractors. I do admit that DPM's have a lot more going for them than the Wack n' Crackers, but the truth is still the same: You are not MD's. Like I've read many times on this forum, stop pretending you are Medical Students. You are not Medical Students. You are DPM students. If you want to be an MD, then go to medical school. That's the only place where one will find true Medical Students.

Lmao this is the pre-DPM student forum. Go post this in the DPM students or practicing DPM section and see the response you get. If you're going to create a new account to troll at least do it in the right section.

Reactions: 5 users
Dear DVader3348; Your immature idealism is frightening! You have NO idea the referrals sources in the practice of "medicine". In over 35 years of private practice in PS, some of my best referral sources are from chiros and PODS. I would NEVER not refer to them as "doctors" They are your future colleagues. A true physician leaves all lines of patient sources open. You are to become a healer and to help patients. If a patients ask there chiro or POD about you believe me you will not ever see that patient from your non professional attitude and disrespect of your "medical" colleagues. Grow up and smell the roses of the practice & art of medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
I am currently shadowing a podiatrist and I asked him if he felt any negativity from other doctors, such as MD, DO, etc. He said that with his experience in the field, he never faced any kind of discrimination. He said that it all depends on how you carry yourself. If you feel/treat yourself inferior to other degrees, then you are inferior. If you think yourself as an equal, then you are an equal. Don't be bothered with what others think of you. At the end of the day, you are trying to help improve patient's health and well being, not worrying about who thinks of you as a doctor.

Lmao this is the pre-DPM student forum. Go post this in the DPM students or practicing DPM section and see the response you get. If you're going to create a new account to troll at least do it in the right section.
Your use of "Lmao" only shows me you do not have any respect for yourself, or any character or class. Gosh, Sweatshirt, I just feel so crushed...

Oh, by the way, "Sweatshirt," I forgot to mention this: I hope for any potential DPM patients you may someday care for, assuming that one with bête noire tendencies (I know its a big term, however, I happen to be of French heritage, so just look it up), can in fact, possess enough honor and respect for future patients to truthfully utter the Hippocratic Oath, without referring to them as "Trolls" as you so ungraciously referred to me. I hope for the sake of any and all future patients that may fall under your care, (given your apparent narcissistic attitude, and your rancorous elucidation), that you do not treat them with such opprobrious behavior.

Dear DVader3348; Your immature idealism is frightening! You have NO idea the referrals sources in the practice of "medicine". In over 35 years of private practice in PS, some of my best referral sources are from chiros and PODS. I would NEVER not refer to them as "doctors" They are your future colleagues. A true physician leaves all lines of patient sources open. You are to become a healer and to help patients. If a patients ask there chiro or POD about you believe me you will not ever see that patient from your non professional attitude and disrespect of your "medical" colleagues. Grow up and smell the roses of the practice & art of medicine.
I am truly sorry that I apparently said the wrong things DocBlin. I did not mean any purposeful disrespect. You are certainly much more experienced than I am. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to get "drawn-in" to subject matter that I should not pay attention to. You are absolutely correct: I should only concentrate on the practice and art or medicine. Sorry...

Oh, by the way, "Sweatshirt," I forgot to mention this: I hope for any potential DPM patients you may someday care for, assuming that one with bête noire tendencies (I know its a big term, however, I happen to be of French heritage, so just look it up), can in fact, possess enough honor and respect for future patients to truthfully utter the Hippocratic Oath, without referring to them as "Trolls" as you so ungraciously referred to me. I hope for the sake of any and all future patients that may fall under your care, (given your apparent narcissistic attitude, and your rancorous elucidation), that you do not treat them with such opprobrious behavior.

Hahaha you are too funny. Go make a new account and try trolling again in 2 weeks and see if you can do any better. This is a failed attempt

Why are you all feeding a troll? Stop giving him attention and he will go away. Last time I checked you needed the MEDICAL school acceptance test to get into podiatry school. Arguing with him is giving him what he wants.

I am truly sorry that I apparently said the wrong things DocBlin. I did not mean any purposeful disrespect. You are certainly much more experienced than I am. Unfortunately, I allowed myself to get "drawn-in" to subject matter that I should not pay attention to. You are absolutely correct: I should only concentrate on the practice and art or medicine. Sorry...
Your use of "Lmao" only shows me you do not have any respect for yourself, or any character or class. Gosh, Sweatshirt, I just feel so crushed...
They really don't make trolls like they used to...

Here are my questions:
You should keep in mind that a great number of those people that end up in "primary" fields end up specializing. If you want to be a specialist as a DO, you certainly can. But the question is, what, in medicine, would you enjoy doing? Let's take the MD and DO out of the equation.

Now, would you enjoy doing those things more than podiatry?

If your answer is you'd rather do podiatry, then why not just go for it? If not, then why not go for DO?

DPM=Doctor of Podiatric Medicine
Doctor...
DOCTOR....of Podiatric Medicine
DOCTOR

Reactions: 4 users