Confused about Research vs Veterinary vs Animal experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Country_roads

MS 2015, DVM/PhD 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So even after doing lots of searching, I'm still not exactly sure how to classify some of my hours.

I'll give some briefs examples that are hopefully detailed enough :)

1. I had an internship at a swine management company. About half of the time I was conducting my own research trial, the other half I was helping with standard commercial procedures. I divided my hours in to half research and half animal experience. Is this right?

2. I worked with a professor for a long time on his dairy trials. About one-third of the time I was doing data collection, blood collection, etc and the rest of the time I was cleaning, feeding, etc. I divided my hours in to 1/3 research and 2/3 animal experience.

3. I have my own research trial right now in grad school, all of those hours with my animals (even feedings) are under research

4. I volunteered for some PhD/DVMs here at Iowa State. We collected animals and administered treatment/took blood for a research trial but it was all under the supervision of veterinarian (they were directly assisting). I listed these under veterinary experience. I would love to put these under veterinary because I only have about ~1000 of small animal vet experience and that's it, but since it was for a trial is it still research experience?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

You're on the right track with your experience classifications. I'd like to point out that veterinary schools will not "ding" you if you don't get the experience classifications exactly right, so do the best you can. In your case, I am confident that you've listed things correctly.
tw

Thanks for your insight!
I've got another question, this one concerning Awards vs Extracurricular activities
I participated in the Intercollegiate Animal Welfare Judging and Assessment Competition and my team placed 4th. Could I put this under both Awards and Extracurricular? Or do I need to put it under awards only? I kind of see it as both, but I'm not sure how reviewers would see it.

Also as for my extracurricular, most of it is animal conferences that I attend. I.e. Pork Expo, Beef Cattle Symposium, Midwest ASAS, etc. Can I count those as extracurricular even though I'm attending and not necessarily presenting?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your insight!
I've got another question, this one concerning Awards vs Extracurricular activities
I participated in the Intercollegiate Animal Welfare Judging and Assessment Competition and my team placed 4th. Could I put this under both Awards and Extracurricular? Or do I need to put it under awards only? I kind of see it as both, but I'm not sure how reviewers would see it.

Also as for my extracurricular, most of it is animal conferences that I attend. I.e. Pork Expo, Beef Cattle Symposium, Midwest ASAS, etc. Can I count those as extracurricular even though I'm attending and not necessarily presenting?

Thanks for your help!
If you hover over the red "?" next to the categories under the experience section, you'll see that a scholarship is the example of an award. So I don't think placing 4th is an "award." I'd actually consider that animal experience at first guess, but could you give more details on the competition? On my application, I have my horse and dairy shows under animal experience, and my standings listed in the descriptions. But I was handling animals.

We were not handling animals, we were simply given scenarios and we had to judge them based on our knowledge of an animal's psychological needs. I wouldn't consider it animal experience at all, I may just put it under extracurricular with my symposiums.

Thanks for your help.

We were not handling animals, we were simply given scenarios and we had to judge them based on our knowledge of an animal's psychological needs. I wouldn't consider it animal experience at all, I may just put it under extracurricular with my symposiums.

Thanks for your help.
Well in that case, I agree that it wouldn't be animal. I think extracurriculars is the best fit. @VMCASSTAFF ?

Absolutely Extracurriculars in this scenario.