Confused about Women's Imaging & OB US in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xrayJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS4 going into radiology and from looking at various programs' curriculum webpages, I see most as having breast imaging, but others have "OB ultrasound" or "Women's imaging". Of course, I know if varies from place to place, but in general what are the differences between these at places? OB ultrasound would seem to be just pelvic US of pregnant women. Is women's imaging that +/- mammography, or does it include other Gyn things? Also, I was curious if residents usually perform pelvic exams for hysterosalpingograms during residency, or if that's more only if you do women's imaging electives or fellowship.
Any help or experience is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS4 going into radiology and from looking at various programs' curriculum webpages, I see most as having breast imaging, but others have "OB ultrasound" or "Women's imaging". Of course, I know if varies from place to place, but in general what are the differences between these at places? OB ultrasound would seem to be just pelvic US of pregnant women. Is women's imaging that +/- mammography, or does it include other Gyn things? Also, I was curious if residents usually perform pelvic exams for hysterosalpingograms during residency, or if that's more only if you do women's imaging electives or fellowship.
Any help or experience is appreciated.
Women's imaging is a non specific term. Some fellowships are called this and they are largely composed of mammo +/- some non ob female pelvic us and MR.

Most places have limited OB US rotations as its on the boards but very practice dependent about if you read any at all. Non pregnant gyn US is read during our regular body months.

And yes for an HSG we do pelvic exams prior to inserting the cannula at our institution. Other places I have heard OB places the cannula and you just run flouro.

Thanks for your response.

Is the HSG generally part of women's imaging/OB US rotation? Or is it part of abdominal or GI/GU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response.

Is the HSG generally part of women's imaging/OB US rotation? Or is it part of abdominal or GI/GU?

I'm guessing this will totally depend on the program. Where I am, HSG is part of a GI/GU/Fluoro rotation. We don't have anything in particular for women's imaging, and after first trimester, OB covers the OB imaging (there is additional training for both sonographers and radiologists who read anatomy or high risk scans, so almost all our OB imaging is done by MFM).

Women's imaging = Mammo + OB US = The worst combo in the entire medicine to get sued. Both have the highest rate of normal studies. And both are among the most boring studies to read.

OB US usually means 2nd and 3rd trimester US. Otherwise, almost any radiologist reads first trimester US.

OB US has a limited market in big cities for radiologists. Mammo market is good since nobody wants to do it.

I wouldn't choose my residency based on exposure to OB US or mammo or one specific rotation. Look at the location, the program's 4 year curriculum, the variety of pathology, the call experience and the reputation of the program.