Confused and depressed

younussm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm 22yr old doing my medicine(MBBS) 3rd yr now .Still 2 more years to go to finish my studies and start practicing.
I have got into medicine after studying for two extra years after my high school .all my friends from school have chosen engineering and other branches .They have started earning and some have settled in foreign countries .
I'm really depressed as I'm still studying and when I look at their photos on social networking sites I feel really sad that I'm unable to celebrate like them .
Going through lot of depression these days .
Please help me what should I do .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Members don't see this ad.

Realize that you don't get the true picture of someone's life looking at a facebook. It always looks fabulous but the actual life is still same mundane BS we all go through.

I feel similarly to you sometimes. I remind myself that I chose this path and that I've worked too hard to quit now. When I'm done, I can start having a good life. Just need to put in the time to get there. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do but stay strong mentally. If you're really feeling depressed, you may want to look into your university's mental health resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah ur right @that redhead .I have some personal problems too like I'm suffering baldness and acne and this is adding to the depression more :( .
God I love this profession and I would love to be more successful but day by day I'm getting depressed .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

What should you do?? You're twenty-****ing-two. How about this: Quit feeling sorry for yourself. You're just a kid. I PROMISE, your life isn't over, it's just beginning.

What is wrong with people today??

Try making a gratitude list. 10 things you are grateful for. Make that list every day until you stop being such a ***** about this. Every day this side of the dirt without a disability is a good day.

(If you're actually clinically depressed, take some ****ing responsibility and go get some help)

What should you do?? You're twenty-*******-two. How about this: Quit feeling sorry for yourself. You're just a kid. I PROMISE, your life isn't over, it's just beginning.

What is wrong with people today??

Try making a gratitude list. 10 things you are grateful for. Make that list every day until you stop being such a ***** about this. Every day this side of the dirt without a disability is a good day.

(If you're actually clinically depressed, take some ******* responsibility and go get some help)

I wouldn't necessarily be so harsh. Everyone only has themselves as a point of reference. I've seen people on the Internet say they feel "really old" because they're nineteen or twenty and it looks ******ed, but then again their world view from their family may be that high school is the pinnacle of their life. Believe it or not, that's true for a lot of people. Some people feel their life peaked at college. A LOT of people feel like once they get married that's basically the beginning of the end (not a knock on marriage, especially since I spend a LOT of time whining about being single, but just a note that many people feel that this is the end of their "new" experiences and the rest of their life is just "being married to the same person"). I learned to take that into account a long time ago and so I don't hold it against people.

I wouldn't necessarily be so harsh. Everyone only has themselves as a point of reference. I've seen people on the Internet say they feel "really old" because they're nineteen or twenty and it looks ******ed, but then again their world view from their family may be that high school is the pinnacle of their life. Believe it or not, that's true for a lot of people. Some people feel their life peaked at college. A LOT of people feel like once they get married that's basically the beginning of the end (not a knock on marriage, especially since I spend a LOT of time whining about being single, but just a note that many people feel that this is the end of their "new" experiences and the rest of their life is just "being married to the same person"). I learned to take that into account a long time ago and so I don't hold it against people.

Oh. I promise I can appreciate the point of reference. It's just self-centered bull**** and I don't think it's helpful to anyone to indulge it.

Oh. I promise I can appreciate the point of reference. It's just self-centered bull**** and I don't think it's helpful to anyone to indulge it.

I'm sure I've generated more self-centered B.S. than anyone in history on "Spouses & Partners." :whistle:

:D

Damn I feel like quitting my social life and just keep on study/game at home .Don't even feel like going to college these days .
My life has become ****ing sedantary .

Compare yourself to the majority of the world where people don't even have food to eat or clean drinking water, then your life (where you'll go onto becoming a high earning doctor.. relatively) won't seem so bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Realize that you don't get the true picture of someone's life looking at a facebook. It always looks fabulous but the actual life is still same mundane BS we all go through.

Everyone has a wonderful life on FB.

Everyone has a wonderful life on FB.

This is very true. FB life is staged.

Anyway, feeling some anxiety and a little depression over your situation is normal. I have a bachelor's degree, and I'm working for minimum wage because I decided to go into medicine after I had my liberal arts degree. All my friends are now either in PhD programs or have great full time jobs. It's embarrassing to still be in undergrad school, taking part time classes and working awful jobs. They don't make me feel bad or look down on me, but it's still embarrassing.

However, clinical depression needs to be taken care of by a mental health provider. See a counselor, psychologist, whoever your school provides for you. I'm sure they deal with depression on a constant basis. I don't know what country you're from, but do you understand that in the US, the average age to enter medical school is 25? That puts the average medical student graduating at 29 years old. You're WAY ahead of American graduates. The earliest START medical school at the age of 21-22. I'd kill to be half way through medical school by now.

Remember that being in medical school is respected, and people understand that it takes more time to train a doctor than an engineer. Would you like to be sitting at a desk crunching numbers for the rest of your life just to be out of school two years earlier? I know I wouldn't.

Reactions: 1 users