Confused between DDS/Dental Hygiene (Massachusetts)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ritank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First of all I would like to thank all of you for all the information (it is really hard to find information). This forum is really helpful for all the aspiring dentists.

Here is my situation:

I am working as a Software Engineer in Boston, MA. My fiance is a Foreign Trained Dentist and will move to USA in February 2015.

I have some questions and would really appreciate if someone can help me with these:

1. Is it true that one can work as a Dental Hygienist in MA after clearing/getting license from Florida state board exam for Dental Hygienists? If yes, how is the job market for Dental hygienists in MA (Boston area), how much can one expect to make?

2. My fiance's long term plan is DDS, is it a good idea to start working as a dental hygienist (2,3 days a week) and prepare for NBDE side by side (especially if you don't need to go to Dental Hygiene school)?

Thanks again for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not too sure if she can work as hygienist in MA as a foreign train dentist. But I might be wrong. The best way is check with the MA board.
If she can work and study at the same time that will be the best. Schools want to see her experiences on her application.

jcdragon13, thanks a lot for the reply.

I did further research on this topic and found these links:

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/quality/boards/dhexappl.pdf

DH_License_Req.PNG

This is the link for Application Instructions (Initial Dental Hygienist Licensure) and it states that in one of the requirements :

Documentation of a passing score in each of the following examinations

a) The American Dental Association National Board Examination for Dental Hygienists;
b) The NERB examination for Dental Hygiene or other state or regional examination; and
c) Massachusetts Dental Ethics and Jurisprudence Examination.

The other link (below) talks about Regional and State Clinical Licensing Examination Requirements:

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/depar...d-state-clinical-licensing-exam-requires.html

It states that :

The Massachusetts Board of Registration requires applicants for licensure in dentistry and dental hygiene to submit proof of successful completion (a minimum of 75% in EACH SECTION) of a clinical examination administered by one of the following:

• North East Regional Board (NERB)
  • Florida State Board of Dental Examiners
  • Nevada State Board of Dental Examiners

I am a bit confused (as I am not aware of all the technicalities of dental field).
Can you or someone else please confirm (after looking at the links above) if it is possible a FTD to work as a dental hygienist in MA after clearing Florida state exam?

Thanks again,
Ankit

Members don't see this ad :)
i think this allows to practice as dental hygienist in florida only..............if she likes to practice in other states she needs to go school........for hygienist.........

jcdragon13, thanks a lot for the reply.

I did further research on this topic and found these links:

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/quality/boards/dhexappl.pdf

View attachment 184558

This is the link for Application Instructions (Initial Dental Hygienist Licensure) and it states that in one of the requirements :

Documentation of a passing score in each of the following examinations

a) The American Dental Association National Board Examination for Dental Hygienists;
b) The NERB examination for Dental Hygiene or other state or regional examination; and
c) Massachusetts Dental Ethics and Jurisprudence Examination.

The other link (below) talks about Regional and State Clinical Licensing Examination Requirements:

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/depar...d-state-clinical-licensing-exam-requires.html

It states that :

The Massachusetts Board of Registration requires applicants for licensure in dentistry and dental hygiene to submit proof of successful completion (a minimum of 75% in EACH SECTION) of a clinical examination administered by one of the following:

• North East Regional Board (NERB)
  • Florida State Board of Dental Examiners
  • Nevada State Board of Dental Examiners

I am a bit confused (as I am not aware of all the technicalities of dental field).
Can you or someone else please confirm (after looking at the links above) if it is possible a FTD to work as a dental hygienist in MA after clearing Florida state exam?

Thanks again,
Ankit

Hi Ankit, I am sorry I am not too familiar with hygienists licensure. I think the most accurate way is to call the board directly and ask them. They will give you the exact steps and requirements.
I know FTD can get a limited dentist license to work in MA. Maybe your fiancé can consider that as well if you guys are living in MA.

Hi,
she needs to give dental hygiene boards n take full time course for 2 years , then only she can get license to work as hygienist