Confused bw choosing medical school or podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnypolo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that I am late for applying to US medical schools for admission in Fall 2015, but will still give it a shot to schools whose deadlines have not passed yet. I am also considering going to one of the Caribbean medical schools as well as applying to podiatry schools. If anyone can give me some input on my questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

1) It seems that almost all Caribbean med students only get accepted into Internal or family medicine residency programs (Not interested at all), with very little to slim chances of getting into dermatology, , neurology, surgery, radiology, or anesthesiology residency programs (my preferred residencies). Is this true for foreign medical students?

2) Podiatry has always been interesting to me and I have shadowed couple podiatrists also. I like the lifestyle podiatrists have where it is not too hectic. I am just really confused as to do podiatry (granted that I get in) or just go to caribbean for medical school as I am 28 years old and cannot wait around anymore. Being 28 years old is not that big of a deal

P.S.- If I get into a US medical school for class of 2015, then I may not consider podiatry, but if I don't get in a US medical school, then my choices are 1)either wait and apply again for US med schools; 2) podiatry school; 3) leave for caribbean med school as I do not want to wait around anymore.

Thanks.
Any and all opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So you're trying to choose between the most competitive specialties in existence... and podiatry?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am 28 years old and cannot wait around anymore. Being 28 years old is not that big of a deal

Who you trying to convince? :laugh:

But seriously, unless your application is REALLY killer, I doubt you have much chance of getting into any MD school at this point if you're just submitting now.

Also, based on your attitude, I think podiatry would be a better fit for you. It sounds like you're looking for a comfortable career which pays well. Also consider dentistry. They have a good gig. I wouldn't apply Caribbean were I you. It just doesn't sound important enough to you to take the risk. If you were desperate to pursue your dreams of becoming a doctor after 3 years of rejections, I would say maybe do Caribbean.

So you're trying to choose between the most competitive specialties in existence... and podiatry?

His motives are pretty clear, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just makes the advice different. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Who you trying to convince? :laugh:

But seriously, unless your application is REALLY killer, I doubt you have much chance of getting into any MD school at this point if you're just submitting now.

Also, based on your attitude, I think podiatry would be a better fit for you. It sounds like you're looking for a comfortable career which pays well. Also consider dentistry. They have a good gig. I wouldn't apply Caribbean were I you. It just doesn't sound important enough to you to take the risk. If you were desperate to pursue your dreams of becoming a doctor after 3 years of rejections, I would say maybe do Caribbean.
OP will not get into the specialties they've listed if they go carrib

Applying to MD schools right now would just be you donating application fees to them. I get not wanting to wait around anymore, but its not really viable to do if you waited six months to submit the application.

I'm pretty sure that everyone will tell you Carib is just money hungry for profit schools that fail out lots of people, match poorly in residency, and most likely will match you in IM or family med if you are fortunate enough to match at all.

I know nothing about podiatry.

You should probably apply next year and do it correctly instead of taking on a ton of debt for the rest of your life to expedite something by a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Neurology, anesthesia, and rads are doable as a DO. Surgery is a longer shot, and derm... Well, let's just say it ain't gonna happen unless you're a superstar.

Podiatry is a solid choice, as is dentistry, but your chances of landing a spot in D school are probably fairly low if you haven't geared your app toward it, you'd need more time to get in. Pods, on the other hand, would be quite easy to get into.

So I know that I am late for applying to US medical schools for admission in Fall 2015, but will still give it a shot to schools whose deadlines have not passed yet. I am also considering going to one of the Caribbean medical schools as well as applying to podiatry schools. If anyone can give me some input on my questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

1) It seems that almost all Caribbean med students only get accepted into Internal or family medicine residency programs (Not interested at all), with very little to slim chances of getting into dermatology, , neurology, surgery, radiology, or anesthesiology residency programs (my preferred residencies). Is this true for foreign medical students?

2) Podiatry has always been interesting to me and I have shadowed couple podiatrists also. I like the lifestyle podiatrists have where it is not too hectic. I am just really confused as to do podiatry (granted that I get in) or just go to caribbean for medical school as I am 28 years old and cannot wait around anymore. Being 28 years old is not that big of a deal

P.S.- If I get into a US medical school for class of 2015, then I may not consider podiatry, but if I don't get in a US medical school, then my choices are 1)either wait and apply again for US med schools; 2) podiatry school; 3) leave for caribbean med school as I do not want to wait around anymore.

Thanks.
Any and all opinions/suggestions are appreciated.
Applying at 28 vs applying at 29? There's really no difference.

Medical training is 7+ years following college graduation. If time is such a big deal for you, then just apply PA (2 years).

Don't apply this cycle, because it's already way too late to be sending in secondaries (if you even get secondaries at this point...).

You said you shadowed podiatrists, but have you shadowed physicians? Do you have any clinical experience? What's your GPA/MCAT? How did you know that allopathic medicine was the right path for you?

I don't think anyone can suggest anything reasonable without more information about your circumstances.

I'm pretty sure the deadline has passed for submitting your primary to US MD schools. I'm not sure what the deadline is for DO schools or podiatry schools, but I would imagine it's fast approaching. I highly recommend against going to the Caribbean if you are interested in competitive specialties.

My advice? Take this year and figure out podiatry vs medicine by shadowing and volunteering and soul-searching, and then apply in early June 2015 for 2016 admissions.

Check out the podiatry forum. A lot of graduates scramble because there are not enough residency spots already. Otherwise, a solid profession for someone who wants surgery combined with lifestyle.

Caribbean is never the right answer. If you want an MD, apply next year. 29 is absolutely not that old.

Applying at 28 vs applying at 29? There's really no difference.

Medical training is 7+ years following college graduation. If time is such a big deal for you, then just apply PA (2 years).

Don't apply this cycle, because it's already way too late to be sending in secondaries (if you even get secondaries at this point...).

You said you shadowed podiatrists, but have you shadowed physicians? Do you have any clinical experience? What's your GPA/MCAT? How did you know that allopathic medicine was the right path for you?

I don't think anyone can suggest anything reasonable without more information about your circumstances.

My undergrad GPA was 3.77 and I also have a Master in Public Health. I do not have any clinical experiences unless you want to count the clinical experience I got while doing my internship at a nephrology lab. I have over 70-80 hours of volunteering plus another30 hours of research. I actually have never applied for US medical schools due to family reasons. But I can apply now that the family problems are over with. I know that I am late to apply for Fall of 2015 admissions as I just got back from India. I know that medicine is my calling as that has been my life-long dream to become a doctor, and do something

As far as the specialties I prefer, I know that they are very competitive specialties to get in but I also know that Internal and family medicine are not what I want to do at all as I have shadowed a family physician. I absolutely hated what the family physician told me about his field. "I go to work at 7:30 am and don't leave my office till like 7pm or so. I go home and start chart/paperwork, and by the time I realize it, it is already 11pm. So I get no time with my family at all during weekdays." To be able to spend time with family is a huge priority for me no matter what career I choose. I didnt get to shadow an internal medicine doctor, but one of those doctors lives in my neighborhood and I got a chance to speak to her and she had to say the same thing that she literally has no time for herself or her family. So what good is it that one makes over 150- 300k but not get to spend it?

I have heard that the Caribbean route is very risky in terms of getting a spot in a residency program,with literally marginal chance of getting a spot in competitive residency programs. I have had cousins and friends who did the Carib route and are now only getting into Internal medicine and family medicine residencies and actually, I know of 2 Caribbean med students who cannot even get into a residency program.

Many specialties require impressive work hours. Not all family doctors have insane work hours.

Although, if you want to be guaranteed a good income and a stable family life, you might want to consider a PA instead.

The Caribbean route is not wise as anecdotal evidence suggests. Their STEP1 passing scores are also misleading because they weed out a lot of people from taking the STEP1 through a preliminary exam. You will find several testimonies here about the Caribbean route, but only a few success stories.

Overall, the highest probability that you will become an MD in the States AND you will be able to match into a residency is if you apply next cycle, apply early, and apply broadly.