Confused over my Career Pathway

LePotato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
I live in Pakistan and am currently doing A-Levels.
My field of interest lies in BioTechnology (mainly Genetic Engineering).
My family wishes to see me become a doctor and due to pressure, I first have to become one.
I want to be a doctor and pursue my field of interest but I do not know how this can be possible.
Should I go to US to do Bachelors in Biotechnology or Biomedical Engineering? After that, attend medical school? I have heard that it's very unlikely for a foreign to be accepted there.
Or I should do MBBS from Pakistan, pass the USMLE exams and do residency in US? But then I won't be able to study Biotechnology and all? Nor would I be able to do PHD in it.
Kindly help me out. I am confused as hell.

Members don't see this ad.

It's very confusing and one vote by congress can change everything all over again...

1) you don't have to be a doctor because your family says so....be what you want
2) if you want to be a US doctor, come to the US as soon as you can and try to get citizenship if you can...the number of residency spaces is not keeping pace with the number of US schools and foreign medical graduates will face problems

Reactions: 1 users
It's very confusing and one vote by congress can change everything all over again...

1) you don't have to be a doctor because your family says so....be what you want
2) if you want to be a US doctor, come to the US as soon as you can and try to get citizenship if you can...the number of residency spaces is not keeping pace with the number of US schools and foreign medical graduates will face problems
Thanks!
I guess you are right.
I myself have doubts over financial matters as this is an emerging field.
So you mean I should do Undergrad from US and apply for citizenship?

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is being a US doctor...your goal, not your family's......your best odds are to be a US citizen at a US school

It can be done as a foreigner, I have an African friend who went to a "no name" carribean school and got a US medical residency but it took 3 yrs of applying.

Reactions: 1 user
I see!
Thanks but is it possible to be a doctor and a Genetic Engineer?

I know nothing about being a genetic engineer...sorry
Oh. It comes under Biotechnology.
No problem. Thanks for your help though. And where did you get admission? Got any scholarship or aid?

Oh. It comes under Biotechnology.
No problem. Thanks for your help though. And where did you get admission? Got any scholarship or aid?

I'm going to a DO school unless I get a last minute call from my local MD program. No scholarships, just lots and lots of loans.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to a DO school unless I get a last minute call from my local MD program. No scholarships, just lots and lots of loans.
Exactly. You be getting loans at least. My best bet is to become a citizen. Or else, i'll just have a bachelors degree at hand.

As said above, get your visa and come to America. The faster you get your citizenship, the easier everything. That being said, my dad's friend went to a public medical school in Afghanistan, and currently studies residency here. So yeah, any way is possible however American citizenship is very valuable.