Confused primary apps - submitting without an MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodGuyGregory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'll be doing my first (and only) MCAT May 31. Scores should come out July 1.

I've read around and it's apparent that I should submit the primaries for verification as soon as it opens. What I don't get is why some are given the advice to only check one medical school in the primary.

What is the harm in selecting all the schools that I am interested in right away? If I do this, won't I get my secondary applications quicker for those schools?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT score is not in the range of these schools then checking them is a waste of $35ish dollars each. Make sure your MCAT score is ok, then add the schools that same day. Believe me, it won't hurt you as schools won't send you secondaries without the MCAT anyway. If you want to get a head start, prewrite the essays for the schools your interested in. That will save you far more time

Reactions: 1 user
But if you do bad on you MCAT your application will be sent to all the schools you selected.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But if you do bad on you MCAT your application will be sent to all the schools you selected.

And if your mcat is bad enough you don't get in anywhere, you'd be a reapplicant. That's why you only pick one.

Reactions: 3 users
Really depends on the school. Some schools send one to you as soon as you submit your primary. Others might take months before deciding to send one to you.

I know but I mean for people looking to pre write secondaries, do you know when the prompts are generally posted on SDN?

Thanks all!

For some reason I thought that some schools sent out secondaries w/o MCAT scores but I guess I'm incorrect on that?