Confused Transfer Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolemsm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been lurking the pre-pharm boards a long time but just finally got around to posting... here's my situation. I'm currently a college student @ a CC in AZ. I graduated high school a year early with the impression oh I'll just go to CC and get my pre-reqs then apply to a PharmD program later....but now I'm really regretting that decision A LOT. My question is, with my scores now would I have a chance getting into any 0-6 programs??

My high school GPA (not proud of) unweighted: 3.53/4.0 (but I did graduate high school early... I am proud of that)
My current college GPA: 3.8/4.0
SAT/ACT- never took but I did take a Compass entrance test which when compared to ACT and SAT I would have gotten a 2000. I'm planning on taking ACT in summer 2010.

Now I'm only 17 so I know I have my whole life ahead of me but I'm just wondering the possibilities plus I don't want to be at my CC for 2 years getting pre-reqs if I could possibly get into a 0-6 :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been lurking the pre-pharm boards a long time but just finally got around to posting... here's my situation. I'm currently a college student @ a CC in AZ. I graduated high school a year early with the impression oh I'll just go to CC and get my pre-reqs then apply to a PharmD program later....but now I'm really regretting that decision A LOT. My question is, with my scores now would I have a chance getting into any 0-6 programs??

My high school GPA (not proud of) unweighted: 3.53/4.0 (but I did graduate high school early... I am proud of that)
SAT/ACT- never took but I did take a Compass entrance test which when compared to ACT and SAT I would have gotten a 2000. I'm planning on taking ACT in summer 2010.

Now I'm only 17 so I know I have my whole life ahead of me but I'm just wondering the possibilities plus I don't want to be at my CC for 2 years getting pre-reqs if I could possibly get into a 0-6 :)

Why do you want to get into a 0-6 program if you have already started college?

Why do you want to get into a 0-6 program if you have already started college?
I'm only in my first semester (well 2nd if you count summer). I have 20 credits...

I guess I just want a guarantee I'll get in before wasting 2 yrs of pre-reqs and then being stuck ....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only in my first semester (well 2nd if you count summer). I have 20 credits...

I guess I just want a guarantee I'll get in before wasting 2 yrs of pre-reqs and then being stuck ....

Wouldn't you want to feel like you're well prepared before doing four years of professional pharmacy coursework?

Wouldn't you want to feel like you're well prepared before doing four years of professional pharmacy coursework?
You have a point... but I think the thing that's getting me most up in arms about this and wanting to get into a 0-6 is the fact that I am willing to put the work in and apply for schools but then again thinking towards the future, schools want to see experience and being that I am 17 I have to wait for one more year until I'm 18 because of AZ laws. I've tried sooooooooooooooooooo many times to intern and get hands on experience but stupid state laws say I have to be 18 to even go behind the counter. So there goes one more year thrown out the door which leaves me with only a year or so to get internship experience and I want to be a well rounded candidate so 1 yr is nothing. (Does what I'm saying that make sense)??

You sound like you'd be attractive to an 0-6 program because you've shown some effort up to now, but I have no idea what their transfer policies are like. Is there any particular school you're interested in?
Well I was looking @ MCPHS because I didn't see ANYWHERE on their site where transfer students weren't allowed. However when I was filling out a transfer application the program of choice was not there (I'm assuming the best that I missed the deadline??)

You have a point... but I think the thing that's getting me most up in arms about this and wanting to get into a 0-6 is the fact that I am willing to put the work in and apply for schools but then again thinking towards the future, schools want to see experience and being that I am 17 I have to wait for one more year until I'm 18 because of AZ laws. I've tried sooooooooooooooooooo many times to intern and get hands on experience but stupid state laws say I have to be 18 to even go behind the counter. So there goes one more year thrown out the door which leaves me with only a year or so to get internship experience and I want to be a well rounded candidate so 1 yr is nothing. (Does what I'm saying that make sense)??

During that one year, you could do some volunteer work to show that you work well with patients and customers, and you can show that you care enough about people in general.

This page from the Boston school makes it sound like transfers are welcome.

http://www.mcphs.edu/admission/boston/transfer/index.html
Yeah, I saw that. I think I will try and get in contact with the Pharm school to hear from them if it's allowed. Really MCPHS would be my ultimate plan since it seems other 0-6s don't accept transfers... unless you take PCAT ick...

crazybob said:
During that one year, you could do some volunteer work to show that you work well with patients and customers, and you can show that you care enough about people in general.
I do avidly volunteer... but it's not "pharmacy related" volunteer work :(

I do avidly volunteer... but it's not "pharmacy related" volunteer work :(

Don't worry if it's not necessarily pharmacy related. When I did volunteer work in undergrad and had two jobs at different times, none of it was pharmacy related.

If you, as a volunteer, gain experience from working with other people/patients/customers, then you'll learn a lot from that, and it will look great on your resume/application. It's also something you can discuss in your personal statement and possibly your interviews.

Don't worry if it's not necessarily pharmacy related. When I did volunteer work in undergrad and had two jobs at different times, none of it was pharmacy related.

If you, as a volunteer, gain experience from working with other people/patients/customers, then you'll learn a lot from that, and it will look great on your resume/application. It's also something you can discuss in your personal statement and possibly your interviews.
Sweet! Also, thanks for you replies. I guess I'll keep on trucking. I wish I could just shut my mind down since it's vacation though lol ;)

heyy girl ^ ^ congrats! on the early graduation, by the way :thumbup: you know, the reason why MOST 0-6 programs don't accept very many/ if any transfer students, is because it's pre-pharmers are guaranteed acceptance into it's professional years, so to speak. well, as long as they do meet that particular schools minimum of course :laugh:

sooo, considering you've already completed 2 semesters... i'd say stick with it[traditional route]. complete your pre-reqs and apply to your schools of choice. just remember...? high GPA, high PCAT topped with a few sweet ECs and you'll be alright ;)

awesome advice cb :D i was just about to mention it to her. try volunteering at your local hospital[pharmacy department, if possible/ any field will suffice] or even try shadowing an independant pharmacist, also nicole ;)

AGAIN...:thumbup: