Confusing myself again with AMCAS app timeline again!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angie_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am a junior that will be graduating in spring of 2016, im taking the MCAT in may 2015, when do I start filling out the AMCAS app fir matric in fall 2016? Because i know it takes about a year to do so, and what if after i fill out the app and submit and i still have extra ECs to add on it would i be able to update it frequently even after med schools read it? Will it be updated on their end as well?

Thanks for the support in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things to do now-May: focus on mcat, do a pre-health committee review if your school requires it, start writing your personal statement, send LOR requests to teachers/physicians ASAP
May 2015: make an account(same account as what you signed with for MCAT test) on amcas and start filling it out (it takes a while)
June, 2015: you can start submitting the primary whevever it opens in June. Do it the first week if you can even without the MCAT score. You can send the scores later
July-September: Secondaries will be sent out. Fill them out and submit within 2 weeks after receiving them
December: Send update to schools about your fall semester grades

Once you submit the app you cannot change sections of it. SO other updates would need to be through email or mail tot he specific schools

Reactions: 1 user
You'd start filling out the AMCAS in May 2015 and submit it early June 2015. You can include future hours in the activity section, so if you plan to continue your ECs you can indicate that. Some secondary applications will ask if you've done anything since submitting the primary, but you should be submitting those over the summer, so that won't include new ECs from your senior year. You can't update your primary application after submitting it, but some schools do accept updates throughout the application cycle, which would be sent directly to the schools.

Things to do now-May: focus on mcat, do a pre-health committee review if your school requires it, start writing your personal statement, send LOR requests to teachers/physicians ASAP
May 2015: make an account(same account as what you signed with for MCAT test) on amcas and start filling it out (it takes a while)
June, 2015: you can start submitting the primary whevever it opens in June. Do it the first week if you can even without the MCAT score. You can send the scores later
July-September: Secondaries will be sent out. Fill them out and submit within 2 weeks after receiving them
December: Send update to schools about your fall semester grades

Once you submit the app you cannot change sections of it. SO other updates would need to be through email or mail tot he specific schools
Thanks so much! I needed that! And as far as ecs? Would i still have time to submit those as well?

Thanks so much! I needed that! And as far as ecs? Would i still have time to submit those as well?
You will have 15 entries under work/activities/conferences/research/honors/etc. You are not required to fill all 15. List all of your activities you are currently in or have completed from freshman year of college to now. Anything you start later can only be sent through update letters.

You'd start filling out the AMCAS in May 2015 and submit it early June 2015. You can include future hours in the activity section, so if you plan to continue your ECs you can indicate that. Some secondary applications will ask if you've done anything since submitting the primary, but you should be submitting those over the summer, so that won't include new ECs from your senior year. You can't update your primary application after submitting it, but some schools do accept updates throughout the application cycle, which would be sent directly to the schools.

Okay good! :) thanks