Confusion anyone? Nurse or Physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocomorsel

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As we repeatedly said on this forum, our CUSTOMERS (Surgeons, hospital admins and patients), couldn't care less who provides the anesthesia services as long as it is cheap and easy to replace.
The only metric that these customers care about is mortality, and since killing a patient has become extremely difficult with the advanced monitoring technologies, it's very difficult for them to understand why a physician is needed for something you could train a monkey to do!

Reactions: 1 users
As we repeatedly said on this forum, our CUSTOMERS (Surgeons, hospital admins and patients), couldn't care less who provides the anesthesia services as long as it is cheap and easy to replace.
The only metric that these customers care about is mortality, and since killing a patient has become extremely difficult with the advanced monitoring technologies, it's very difficult for them to understand why a physician is needed for something you could train a monkey to do!

I think people underestimate the expense of breeding, raising, and training a monkey to do anesthesia.

Reactions: 3 users
Things must be getting lean in Texas...a few of them seem to be making ends meet by spending time in the ER and radiology suite.

I think people underestimate the expense of breeding, raising, and training a monkey to do anesthesia.
The screeching, biting, and poo flinging have to be factored in there too.

When I was an undergrad the lab I worked in had three macaque monkeys. They were jerks.

At least it doesn't say Dr. Joseph Arrington, CRNA DNP-BC Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia
These will be coming soon if my school's srna school is any indication

The ones who have doctors have EdD after their names. I thought that was an educational administration degree just like bill cosby has.. wtf are we using all degrees in the healthcare setting... Someone should email that chairman to point out how stupid that looks.

I guess this is why we are having to sit through meetings and write policies about what verbiage these folks are allowed to use at our hospital when treating patients.

I'm confused as to what "Nurse Anesthesiology" is.
Nurse anesthesia= cookbook on ASA 1 and 2s, anything else causes questionable clinical decisions and calling an MD for help. I still get the willies thinking about the surgeon's son who almost had an ICU stay because a CRNA thought he needed three times the amount of narcotics I or any other reasonable anesthesiologist would've given.

Reactions: 1 user
Website%20Cheng.jpg

At least this isn't specific to anesthesiology. Most new NP's are graduating as "doctors" of nursing practice. I bet they are chomping at the bit to be titled "doctors" too.