Congrads on your Match!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From an old Anesthesiologist to a budding Anesthesiology Resident I want to congratulate everyone who matched into Anesthesia. You have an exciting road ahead of you and the best time of your life is just ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
Thanks Blade, unfortunately i only matched advance...i need a prelim year.

I matched. Thank you to everyone's advice and help over the years (I changed usernames a few times).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! As an EM resident switching into anesthesia, I'm sure a lot of you guys would tell me I'm nuts -- but I'm excited to join the better side of the drapes. And drink lots of scotch...

Reactions: 3 users
71990095116.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
wow impressive. EM is the craze these days...
Are you sure you're admiring the right thing here? From a future job security standpoint, that's like switching from Harvard to an online degree.

My congratulations to all who decided not to apply for anesthesiology. Truly smart people learn from other people's mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Are you sure you're admiring the right thing here? From a future job security standpoint, that's like switching from Harvard to an online degree.

My congratulations to all who decided not to apply for anesthesiology. Truly smart people learn from other people's mistakes.

LOL really?? Its just that everyone around me seems to be applying for EM, top students as well. Em is almost as big as Im here. Didn't realize has a worse future than anes.

LOL really?? Its just that everyone around me seems to be applying for EM, top students as well. Em is almost as big as Im here. Didn't realize has a worse future than anes.
It does not; on the contrary.

You were congratulating an EM resident switching into anesthesia.

That is pretty obnoxious. I get it, you're an attending and have lots of experience and know exactly how the future of anesthesiology will play out, blah blah blah... just let it be. We all get it.

Reactions: 4 users
Ignore the pessimists. You will have a great future as long as you chose a job that you love. Congratulations. Learn all you can over the next few years, it will be done in a blink, then you can be a jaded attending like us.

FFP, just remember back to the days of med school with the 450 lbs patient with "pelvic pain."

Ignore the pessimists. You will have a great future as long as you chose a job that you love. Congratulations. Learn all you can over the next few years, it will be done in a blink, then you can be a jaded attending like us.

FFP, just remember back to the days of med school with the 450 lbs patient with "pelvic pain."

Oh man I've never done a pelvic or rectal exam on a real patient. Hope I don't have to ever.

From an old Anesthesiologist to a budding Anesthesiology Resident I want to congratulate everyone who matched into Anesthesia. You have an exciting road ahead of you and the best time of your life is just ahead.
Thank you, sir.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are at least two types of people who make negatives comments.

1. First, those who are disgruntled with wherever or whatever there are in life. The person who didn't get his or her dream or at least a satisfactory job in their dream or a satisfactory location, or had to settle for a specialty they only sort of liked, or has always just gone thru life with a chip on their shoulder or a scowl on their face, etc. These are the whiners, complainers. It's unlikely they'll ever be happy no matter what they do or where they go. And they'll just take it out on whoever will listen to them...including SDN where they can anonymously whinge. Everyone else should serve as their dumping ground. These are the people you can't reason with because they'll always find a reason to disbelieve your reason.

2. But then there are also those who are otherwise content in life. People of sound mind. Mentally and emotionally stable. They have little to gain from voicing negativity let alone voicing negativity online. Yet they truly believe the negativity is reality or is becoming reality, and so perhaps to inform, or warn others, or perhaps simply for love of a specialty they see dying, they tell others what they think is the truth. They wish things weren't so, and would be the first to admit they're wrong if it turns out what they see doesn't come to pass, and they respond to counter arguments rather than letting emotionally charged adjectives alone do the heavy lifting for them.

I believe people like Blade and FFP would be in the latter camp.

FFP is just worried because he has no other discernable skills. Anesthesiology is all he has. So I'd forgive him for being a bit nervous

Thanks! As an EM resident switching into anesthesia, I'm sure a lot of you guys would tell me I'm nuts -- but I'm excited to join the better side of the drapes. And drink lots of scotch...

Just curious. Why are you switching? Em doesn't have that Much anesthesia stuff in residency right. How did you know you wanted to do anes in residency?

FFP is just worried because he has no other discernable skills. Anesthesiology is all he has. So I'd forgive him for being a bit nervous
To be fair, unfortunately, many if not most of us in medicine don't have other discernible skills besides whatever skills (and knowledge and experience) we have in our chosen specialty. It's not as if we can easily re-train in an altogether different career (e.g. move from medicine to computer science, move from medicine to law). It's possible, of course, but it's not easy. I wish it weren't this way, but that's how it is.

Thing is I think he is doing an icu fellowship this coming year, so I'm pretty sure he is isn't that worried about his "skills" in the future... That being said FFP does have a history of adding a little pessimism at rather inopportune times.

@FFP - as always, thanks for coming in to rain on other people's parade.

Last edited:

Maybe he or she didn't enjoy popping huge pus filled abscesses or with screaming vomiting smelly abusive patients or at a continually changing shift work schedule or getting burned out by age 45? I have the utmost respect for a good ED doc but could never ever do it.

Congrats to all who matched.

I also want to congratulate all of you future anesthesia residents. I love my job (most of the time, overnight calls and weekends can be brutal even if it's just a few labor epidurals at 2 am). You see a lot of people (ie the EM resident) transfer into anesthesia but rarely the other way around. Though there are negatives to our field, you can say that for ANY job out there. There will always be a need for us and we should still be above the 50th percentile for salary amongst all physicians for quite some time. Congrats again.

Reactions: 4 users
I am sad that the negativity had to enter this particular thread, but still excited to have matched. We all hopefully have done some groundwork on the state of the field and what our lives will look like as attendings, and there's still no other field of medicine that interests me as much.

You'll all be punching yourselves in the head when you finish residency 3 years form now. Ten years from now you'll remember all us "negative Nellies" and think "damn, I should have listened."

:clap:

So... what other skills you have that allow you to be not worried about the future of medicine like the rest of us less talented mortals?

I am waiting for Ebola to become an epidemic (the WHO predicts 1.4 million cases in Africa by the end of January), before I buy. I think this epidemic will throw us into recession, if not world war, unless we fix Africa fast.

I'll probably keep buying on the way down, but it will be a loooong way down, once the epidemic will start affecting the economy. I won't start buying significantly until we drop to a Dow of 10-11,000.
1) Take anyone's predictive capacity with a grain of salt. It's not easy to see the future.
There are at least two types of people who make negatives comments.

1. First, those who are disgruntled with wherever or whatever there are in life. The person who didn't get his or her dream or at least a satisfactory job in their dream or a satisfactory location, or had to settle for a specialty they only sort of liked, or has always just gone thru life with a chip on their shoulder or a scowl on their face, etc. These are the whiners, complainers. It's unlikely they'll ever be happy no matter what they do or where they go. And they'll just take it out on whoever will listen to them...including SDN where they can anonymously whinge. Everyone else should serve as their dumping ground. These are the people you can't reason with because they'll always find a reason to disbelieve your reason.

2. But then there are also those who are otherwise content in life. People of sound mind. Mentally and emotionally stable. They have little to gain from voicing negativity let alone voicing negativity online. Yet they truly believe the negativity is reality or is becoming reality, and so perhaps to inform, or warn others, or perhaps simply for love of a specialty they see dying, they tell others what they think is the truth. They wish things weren't so, and would be the first to admit they're wrong if it turns out what they see doesn't come to pass, and they respond to counter arguments rather than letting emotionally charged adjectives alone do the heavy lifting for them.

I believe people like Blade and FFP would be in the latter camp.
2) Are you sure? In your life, imagine what a person might say after you tell them how happy you are about realizing your future goals in anesthesiology. A reasonable, stable, appropriately negative person might reply: "Congrats on reaching your goal and have fun! You may have some serious challenges with mid level independence, reimbursement issues, and just the overall question of the future of medicine. But maybe you can contribute and do your part to make anesthesiology a field that people should WANT to go into".
An angry social imbecile might say to you: "Congrats to the people who AREN'T you! You're the equivalent of an online graduate! You're not smart!"

Im a hypocrite and say things I wish I hadn't ALL THE TIME. But some people are just obnoxious and angry, and those characteristics color their view of EVERY subject, turning every challenge into doom and gloom.

Choose your job wisely. I love mine, and so do the VAST majority of the anesthesiologists I know. Will that change? Maybe. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. Everyone in every specialty can say that.
You'll always have job opportunities, and if you play your cards right you'll be VERY comfortable financially.
Now go party before intern year starts!

1) Take anyone's predictive capacity with a grain of salt. It's not easy to see the future.

2) Are you sure? In your life, imagine what a person might say after you tell them how happy you are about realizing your future goals in anesthesiology. A reasonable, stable, appropriately negative person might reply: "Congrats on reaching your goal and have fun! You may have some serious challenges with mid level independence, reimbursement issues, and just the overall question of the future of medicine. But maybe you can contribute and do your part to make anesthesiology a field that people should WANT to go into".
An angry social imbecile might say to you: "Congrats to the people who AREN'T you! You're the equivalent of an online graduate! You're not smart!"

Im a hypocrite and say things I wish I hadn't ALL THE TIME. But some people are just obnoxious and angry, and those characteristics color their view of EVERY subject, turning every challenge into doom and gloom.

Choose your job wisely. I love mine, and so do the VAST majority of the anesthesiologists I know. Will that change? Maybe. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. Everyone in every specialty can say that.
You'll always have job opportunities, and if you play your cards right you'll be VERY comfortable financially.
Now go party before intern year starts!

How do you play cards right? Or do you mean very comfortable compared to avg salary nationally

A little off topic. I don't see great demand in EM in the future. With the ACA and push for more patients being insured. Insurers will punish (or make deterrents) for insured patients NOT to use ER services. Say jack up ER co pays up to $500 if not admitted.

And start re routing people towards cheaper "urgent care centers" even Walgreens and CVS have these minute clinics that charge cheap. Most ER visits don't warrant use of expensive hospital services.

What do u guys think?

You'll all be punching yourselves in the head when you finish residency 3 years form now. Ten years from now you'll remember all us "negative Nellies" and think "damn, I should have listened."

Should have listened and done what? Apply in a field that we didn't enjoy at all? Drop out of anesthesia residency and pursue some random surgical subspecialty that we have no interest in? Too late to drop out of medicine entirely.

I was gungho on applying in ENT at the beginning of 3rd year. It sounded cool and I enjoyed head and neck anatomy, and I understood on some level that it was a very "secure" field. I had the application for it. Then my surgery clerkship happened, and I realized I hated surgery. The 430am mornings, the personalities, I could go on and on. Was I supposed to just pretend I enjoyed surgery? Should I have just forced myself to do derm instead or something?

Do you hate the practice of anesthesia? Do you hate your job specifically? Or just the people you work with? Your posts are obviously dramatic for a reason, I'm just not sure what that reason is.

*edit* I'm sorry to contribute to these inflammatory posts. But it just irks me so much to see these posts in a JUST MATCHED thread! how immature can you get?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Lowly M2 here but just wanted to say congrats to those who matched!!!!!! You earned it, now go celebrate......and then celebrate some more......all the way until residency starts.

Should have listened and done what? Apply in a field that we didn't enjoy at all? Drop out of anesthesia residency and pursue some random surgical subspecialty that we have no interest in? Too late to drop out of medicine entirely.

I was gungho on applying in ENT at the beginning of 3rd year. It sounded cool and I enjoyed head and neck anatomy, and I understood on some level that it was a very "secure" field. I had the application for it. Then my surgery clerkship happened, and I realized I hated surgery. The 430am mornings, the personalities, I could go on and on. Was I supposed to just pretend I enjoyed surgery? Should I have just forced myself to do derm instead or something?

Do you hate the practice of anesthesia? Do you hate your job specifically? Or just the people you work with? Your posts are obviously dramatic for a reason, I'm just not sure what that reason is.

*edit* I'm sorry to contribute to these inflammatory posts. But it just irks me so much to see these posts in a JUST MATCHED thread! how immature can you get?

No but there's a reason to why derm is so competitive :)

Every single field is getting cheapened in some way. To say anesthesia is unique is incorrect. For God's sake, ICU admissions from our ED are done by PAs. Want to see the ICU doc? He's busy supervising the PA-Intensivists. Why? Because PAs are cheaper. Want to see the GI doc? His NP will see you while he stabs poo with a scope. Why? Because it's cheaper. Want to see a family practice doc? He's busy but the NP is available. Or go to Walgreens or CVS. You just got hit by a car and are in the trauma bay? Trauma PA will see you. Surgery is not safe from this either. At all. Seeing patients on the floor and deciding when they need surgery is the hard part, right? Well, that's what the surgeons will be doing in the future. And the PA will be pulling the gallbladder/appendix out. Why? Because it's cheaper.

It's not hard to see. Corporations (or so called "non-profits") purchase practices/hospitals/any business...investors want more money....corporations go with the cheapest labor possible. It's happening everywhere, not just anesthesia...not just medicine. If you want to avoid that kind of attitude, not only are you in the wrong profession, you're in the wrong country. Everyone is cheapening everything. Get over it.

Anyway, I'd rather do anesthesia than cut out moles all day in derm. Barf....

Congrats to those who matched!

Thank you, doctor! You, understand, me! I am hallucinating all this stuff I write about on the forum. It's not actually happening to/around me. Thank God there are voices like yours, telling me "It's not true, it's all just a bad dream. The real world is just the opposite. You feel like Cinderella, FFP, but wait till Surgeon Charming finds you."

I just need to take my daily Macalloperidol, like all these good people. Then I will be a happy social imbecile.

P.S.
Only people who keep their opinions to themselves (think that they) are always right. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's so easy to point fingers and go with the popular flow.

By the way, may all who matched end up being happy with their choice a few years from now. Did not wish to rain on anyone's parade, except for the EM resident switching into anesthesia. I myself remember how excited and hopeful I was for the duration of my entire internship, until I was brutally woken up. Maybe that's why I am less optimistic now. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you just take your bullśhit to another thread. Seriously man, stop being a jackass.
They matched in anesthesia, the field they wanted. Hopefully they went in fully informed. Good for them.
It's an interesting field. I like my job. Hopefully they will like theirs.
Your constant negativity has no place in this particular thread.
Go get a better job. I was courted this last weekend at the society meeting by 2 people to go join them. Good jobs, very good jobs, just in cities I don't want to live in. Good jobs are out there right now.

Reactions: 6 users
How about you just take your bullśhit to another thread. Seriously man, stop being a jackass.
They matched in anesthesia, the field they wanted. Hopefully they went in fully informed. Good for them.
Go get a better job. I was courted this last weekend at the society meeting by 2 people to go join them. Good jobs, very good jobs, just in cities I don't want to live in. Good jobs are out there right now.
IlDestriero, I'll do one better. I'll take it away.

It's actually possible to be realistic and NOT a dbag. It's not as easy as stream of consciousness obnoxious resentment, but in the long run I think it makes you less painful on society.

Congratulations to the MS4s that matched into this field. Although there is the "doom and gloom" talk for several years, it really depends on how you make of your own particular situation. I was in your shoes 5 years ago, hearing and reading the same exact messages and doubting myself. I still enjoyed my residency, made great friends, and had a lot of good times.

The best thing I liked about my field were my colleagues, anesthesiologists are in general easy going, calm natured, and have many interests outside of the OR. Anesthesiology is our career but we have other passions outside (run/hike/bike/beer/etc) the operating room. enjoy the rest of your MS4 year, network, meet future colleagues and friends a like.

One tip when you are in training and going forth, always be nice to your medical students/trainees because you never know when you will see them again and may need them for something. Everyone remembers the jerk resident in medical school that looked down on a lowly MS3... will you recommend them for a job when you run across their name 5 or 10 years down the road?

Are you sure? In your life, imagine what a person might say after you tell them how happy you are about realizing your future goals in anesthesiology. A reasonable, stable, appropriately negative person might reply: "Congrats on reaching your goal and have fun! You may have some serious challenges with mid level independence, reimbursement issues, and just the overall question of the future of medicine. But maybe you can contribute and do your part to make anesthesiology a field that people should WANT to go into". An angry social imbecile might say to you: "Congrats to the people who AREN'T you! You're the equivalent of an online graduate! You're not smart!"
Hi Pooh & Annie. If I'm not mistaken, though I don't wish to put words into their mouths either, but at least from what I've read, I believe people like Blade and FFP have always maintained in other threads and PMs with inquirers that there's nothing wrong with picking anesthesiology so long as you're making an informed decision and know what you're getting into and are aware of its future, that anesthesiology as a field would benefit from more intelligent, hard-working med students choosing it as a career, etc. Heck, Blade even started this thread to congratulate people matching into anesthesiology. So in my experience, it sounds like they'd fit a lot better in your former description than in your latter.

Anyway, I too congratulate everyone who has matched into anesthesiology, and wish them a bright future, even if it currently looks like it'll be against the odds (like much of modern American medicine today). But I genuinely hope they beat the odds and have a long and happy career in anesthesiology! :)

Thank you sincerely for the congratulations. I just matched, and I am thankful and excited. Congrats to everyone else as well!

I appreciate blade starting this thread, and I agree; even though he's negative about the future I don't remember him ever belittling anyone for thinking about or choosing the field.

Keep the negative posts out of this thread. You guys SUCK. Buncha cut rate fortune tellers.

To the newly matched med students- congratulations! Anesthesia rocks!

Cant wait til friday!! congrats everyone! i keep getting fixated on certain parts of my list and could be in for a big surprise on friday!