conjugate acid/base

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry to keep blowing up this forum but i just need to clarify things before my test

from GS-9

wouldn't the CONJUGATE ACID be H30+ and the CONJUGATE BASE be HC03-. The ACID would be H2CO3 and the BASE would be H20.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 45
sorry to keep blowing up this forum but i just need to clarify things before my test

from GS-9

wouldn't the CONJUGATE ACID be H30+ and the CONJUGATE BASE be HC03-. The ACID would be H2CO3 and the BASE would be H20.
For a conjugate acid-base pair, the acid acts as a bronsted acid (donating a H+). What's left after it donates an H+ is it's conjugate base (HCO3-). You could also view it the opposite way. If HCO3- acts as a base (abstracts a proton), it's conjugate acid is H2CO3.

Also, in your explanation, water is acting as a base (it's accepting the proton of H2CO3). So water's conjugate acid is H3O+.

For a conjugate acid-base pair, the acid acts as a bronsted acid (donating a H+). What's left after it donates an H+ is it's conjugate base (HCO3-). You could also view it the opposite way. If HCO3- acts as a base (abstracts a proton), it's conjugate acid is H2CO3.

Also, in your explanation, water is acting as a base (it's accepting the proton of H2CO3). So water's conjugate acid is H3O+.
woops just noticed i didn't post the passage the question was referring to. could you take a look at it again?