Connecting with schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this cycle and most schools I have no connection at all with. Would it be wise to e-mail someone on their admissions committee showing my interest and inquiring about their program and telling a little about myself?

I feel like it couldn't hurt, but could it help?

Have any of you done this?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying this cycle and most schools I have no connection at all with. Would it be wise to e-mail someone on their admissions committee showing my interest and inquiring about their program and telling a little about myself?

I feel like it couldn't hurt, but could it help?

Have any of you done this?
You should probably save that for your interview day, and don't sweat the little stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the post above, wait for the juicy details about yourself until the interview.
However, you could call the admissions office and request their Hey! Come here! information packet.

I think you kinda have to do your research on the schools you're interested in. I set up an appointment to discuss my application with an admissions counselor at a D-school in my area about a month before I submitted my application. I didn't necessarily have any questions but I wanted my name to be "on the radar" so to speak, and I knew that they welcomed dialogue with prospective dental students based on what I had read online; I think in the end it worked out in my favor. Moral of the story is some schools really welcome that connection whereas other schools...not so much.

This can work in your favour, but is more likely to work against you. As said above, just save your interest and auto-biography for the interview...when that time comes. I would suggest not being to aggressive and calling them up this early...it honestly might work against you and I would only suggest calling them up to ask for extra information regarding their application process.

Last edited:
If you are really bored, sure.

But dont let it take away from the important stuff.

A lot of undergad schools valued the "shows interest" part of the application, that's not really the case with dental schools. If you have gotten to the point where you are applying and your application backs up your interest, they know you are interested. I agree that its a bit aggressive to contact them now. If you want to go check out the school, see if they have a pre-dent day that you can attend?

Reactions: 1 user
Applying to a school tells them you are interested.

I would say yes... definitely connect with schools! I set up tours with 6 different schools that are pretty close to where I live and I got interviews with all of them. Do an actual visit and not just a simple phone call... It will be worth the effort in the long run!

You'll get a tour when you interview at the schools. So make sure you get those interviews.

Im sure they wont remember someone who just wanted to take a look at the school.

I would say yes... definitely connect with schools! I set up tours with 6 different schools that are pretty close to where I live and I got interviews with all of them. Do an actual visit and not just a simple phone call... It will be worth the effort in the long run!

They do remember people that visit before an interview! Of course it is important that you leave something so they can remember you come interview time. This will give you a foot in the door to the thousands of other applicants vying for the same seat.

Also, three schools that I visited guaranteed that I would receive an interview because I showed such interest in their school. That was huge especially since one of those schools was my top choice school. Once I received interviews from the schools I visited, I was fortunate to interview with the same people that gave me tours earlier in the year. This allowed for easy conversation and an immediate connection with those I talked to. Moreover, it was huge when writing secondaries. I'm not saying every school will remember you, but all you need is ONE to make a difference.

The reason I am such a firm believer in the unconventional methods of getting into dental school is because it works. BE PROACTIVE! I didn't have the most stellar stats so I needed every little thing I could get. Good luck and remember every little thing you do will pay off in the end.

Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1424635940.641811.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1424635940.641811.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Don't waste your time. it doesn't makes a difference.

Glad it worked out for you. There are always exceptions.