Consequences of 3.1 sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Higher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With a c3.4 GPA do I have a shot at MD?

Members don't see this ad.

How heavily is the sGPA weighted? I'm worried that even if I get through with a 3.4 cGPA, when adcoms see my 3.1 sGPA, I'll be rejected automatically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same fears, as does everyone with low "stats", but you have to realize people have gotten in with such stats before, so it's obviously not impossible. If you're interested in statistics, AAMC reported that from 2008-2010 about 50% of the applicants within that GPA range who achieved a MCAT score of at least 31 were accepted. Polish your EC experience and make a great PS that really tells a good story and exhibits a passion for medicine and apply early and broadly (including to DO schools perhaps) and you should get in somewhere.

How heavily is the sGPA weighted? I'm worried that even if I get through with a 3.4 cGPA, when adcoms see my 3.1 sGPA, I'll be rejected automatically.

Not automatically. Get an MSAR... Every school gives a long list of their selection factors. You will have to make up for your GPA deficiency in other areas (think MCAT) but that is up to you.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 50% figure is at least misleading. With a 3.4/3.1 and a 31 MCAT, your chances will, on average, be much lower than 50%. To get to that 50% number, I'd say you'd want to have at least a 33-34 MCAT.

Good luck with your application. :thumbup: