Conservation of Energy Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mushrooomboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that momentum is conserved in this problem, but can anyone explain to me how kinetic energy is conserved as well? The answer says that it's an elastic collision

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Cons of E.png
    Cons of E.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 48
Use the conservation of momentum formula to solve for the momentum of the second ball - which turns out to be 4/3(mv) in the same direction.

Then you can solve for the initial and final kinetic energies of the balls to compare if they are the same.

The initial K = mv^2

The final K = (1/9)mv^2 + (8/9)mv^2

These are equal so kinetic energy is conserved and we can state that the collision is fully elastic.

@Cawolf

I also got the 4/3 mv part.

But how did you get the (1/9) and the (8/9) in your final K calculation?

I presume the 1/9 comes from the velocity of the bigger ball being 1/3 of the original (1/3)^2 = 1/9. But how did you get 8/9?

You know the initial/final masses and the inital/final velocities.

Just plug those into K = 1/2 mv^2.

K1 + K2 = K1' + K2'

(0.5)(2m)(v)^2 + o = (0.5)(2m)(1/3v)^2 + (0.5)(m)(4/3v)^2

mv^2 = 1/9 mv^2 + 8/9 mv^2

mv^2 = mv^2

So the kinetic energy is conserved. If these values were different we would know how much energy was lost to some other process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply momentum and energy conservation equations.
If you get an identity equation (i.e. v = v, 4/3 = 4/3), it's elastic, which it is in this case.
If you get an inequality, it will be inelastic.

Curious, anyone mind explaining how you guys arrived at 4/3v? I feel like I'm missing something fairly obvious here.

Calculate total momenta of the system. Define the mass of Ball 1 to be 2m, mass of Ball 2 to be m. Total momenta is 2m*v=2mv. Ball 1 is now moving at 1/3 *v. Its momenta is 2m*v/3=2mv/3. The momenta of Ball 2 is therefore mv (2-2/3)=mv(4/3).

Reactions: 1 user