Consider my thesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

technocrat626

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university requires all undergrads to complete a senior thesis to receive their degree. Since my major is political science and I'm doing pre-med studies, I want to write a thesis that ties into both disciplines. My undergrad polisci studies will be focusing on comparative politics and revolutionary movements. I'm considering writing my thesis on the prevalence of physicians within revolutionary movements, which specific focuses on Agostinho Neto, Salvador Allende, Arnulfo Arias, Jose Rizal, Che Guevara, Sun Yat-sen, and Ayman al-Zawahiri (all of whom were/are physicians). So my question for all the polisci people on this forum: do you think this is too much of a stretch for an undergrad thesis? Also, if I sent a copy of the thesis to the schools I am applying to (mostly DO schools) would they care about the topic?

Members don't see this ad.

Awww, come on. 172 views and no replies? I guess SDN isn't up to snuff on their global revolutionary political figures knowledge. :-/

Regarding your last question, no, I wouldn't expect schools to care about your senior thesis. Most wouldn't even allow you to send them a copy.

Members don't see this ad :)
My university requires all undergrads to complete a senior thesis to receive their degree. Since my major is political science and I'm doing pre-med studies, I want to write a thesis that ties into both disciplines. My undergrad polisci studies will be focusing on comparative politics and revolutionary movements. I'm considering writing my thesis on the prevalence of physicians within revolutionary movements, which specific focuses on Agostinho Neto, Salvador Allende, Arnulfo Arias, Jose Rizal, Che Guevara, Sun Yat-sen, and Ayman al-Zawahiri (all of whom were/are physicians). So my question for all the polisci people on this forum: do you think this is too much of a stretch for an undergrad thesis? Also, if I sent a copy of the thesis to the schools I am applying to (mostly DO schools) would they care about the topic?

:sleep:

I concur.

OP, do what you want, but if I were in your shoes, I would write about something more relevant to the U.S. health system. The current contentious climate in our nation regarding health care reform is worthy of a thesis. For example, you could examine the politics of the single-payer movement. As a benchmark, you could discuss Israel's health system, which is the closest to where I wish we could go in the U.S.

Edit: I also disagree with the above poster that stated that a thesis is irrelevant. While it's not a huge part of your application, it does represent a high level of academic scholarship, which should indicate future research potential.

Last edited:
Regarding your last question, no, I wouldn't expect schools to care about your senior thesis. Most wouldn't even allow you to send them a copy.

I don't think they would care about the topics discussed in your thesis, and they certainly wouldn't want a copy of it, but they would definitely be interested in the fact that you did a thesis. A senior thesis requires large of amounts of research on par with what one would do at a typical bench research position, albeit of a different nature. You should definitely list your thesis as a "Research" experience on your AMCAS.

I'm a poly sci major as well, good to see there is more than one on this forum.

Have you found enough interesting sources for this topic? What about data? If this topic is something that excites you then go for it. I guess the goal of a thesis should be to add something worthwhile to the academic world... I would not count on it being too important in the application process though.

I would only write about something like this if you want to. There is no problem with you writing a thesis that has nothing to do whatsoever with healthcare because, frankly, I don't think adcoms care.

I agree. I'm just throwing out an idea. The one advantage of writing about a current and relevant topic, though, is that you'll be well prepared to discuss it at interviews :cool:.

Genuinely curious, not starting an argument. Why would a school not care about a senior thesis? In my context I will be writing one in the future as a part of my university's honors program as a culmination of all the research and supplementary activities I have done.

I wrote a thesis myself on research I did over several years. I'm not saying don't list it on your application, but realize that it's not going to carry as much weight as a paper published in a peer-reviewed journal. In my case, I listed my research experience on my AMCAS and made a note that I wrote a thesis at the conclusion of my research work. From my experience, I think schools appreciated that I had significant research experience and I discussed my research on the interview trail, but no one brought up the fact that I'd written a thesis.

OP, as an Americanist, I myself prefer Hugh Williamson to your revolutionaries :p

Cool topic, might be biting off more than you can chew though since you are covering so many different people, places, and events. Someone could write an entire book on how medicine intertwined with the life of just one of these figures.

In terms of the relevance questions, I think this brings up an important distinction. Sure, non-science research is great. Will it help in terms of the traditional definition of "research" in terms of what adcoms are looking for? No. Will it make you a more interesting and unique applicant? Absolutely. Because this isn't bench or clinical research anyway, it's kind of irrelevant what form it takes, whether it be an undergrad thesis or an article in an undergrad poli sci research journal.

Last edited:

Although I'm not a polisci studies major I'm think your topic is excellent. I have deep admiration for these people specially Che Guevara. I think it's compassion for human suffering changed him and lead him to become immortal in history!! If you are passionate about the topic go for it and don't worry what adcom think, it will definitively won't hurt you, and if it help you then good!!!! I would love to read something like that

OP, as an Americanist, I myself prefer Hugh Williamson to your revolutionaries :p

Cool topic, might be biting off more than you can chew though since you are covering so many different people, places, and events. Someone could write an entire book on how medicine intertwined with the life of just one of these figures.

In terms of the relevance questions, I think this brings up an important distinction. Sure, non-science research is great. Will it help in terms of the traditional definition of "research" in terms of what adcoms are looking for? No. Will it make you a more interesting and unique applicant? Absolutely. Because this isn't bench or clinical research anyway, it's kind of irrelevant what form it takes, whether it be an undergrad thesis or an article in an undergrad poli sci research journal.

Why do you say non-science research is something adcoms are not looking for? There are plenty of doctors who do other kinds of research other than basic science!!!

Why do you say non-science research is something adcoms are not looking for? There are plenty of doctors who do other kinds of research other than basic science!!!

Oops...that wasn't what I meant at all. My bad! My app is very heavy in non-science research and I am applying to non-science dual degree programs, so believe me, I'm on your side.

The issue on here that I tend to see is that people who want to go to top allo schools think non-science research can take the place of basic science research. Not a very good gamble for those folks. Kinda messed up that post since OP is mainly a DO applicant.

Oops...that wasn't what I meant at all. My bad! My app is very heavy in non-science research and I am applying to non-science dual degree programs, so believe me, I'm on your side.

The issue on here that I tend to see is that people who want to go to top allo schools think non-science research can take the place of basic science research. Not a very good gamble for those folks. Kinda messed up that post since OP is mainly a DO applicant.

Cool!! I'm also doing non-science research and I love it. Good luck with your application