Consideration of old and new MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RRR28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the MCAT twice and wound up with a 28 the first time, and after a rushed attempt to take the Jan 2015 MCAT got a 27. Anyone have any ideas on if adcoms will see scores from your old tests if you take the new mcat? If so, how will they consider the old vs. new scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Your old scores will definitely not disappear.

They will treat them equivalently by looking at percentile.

Yes they can see all scores, and generally MCAT scores with downward trends are not a good thing.... maybe not an app killer but hopefully you have a strong GPA and a smart school list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad was a 3.65 and I'm working on a masters now. I'm just trying to be competitive for the 'lower teir' MD schools (if there is such a thing). I'm trying to gauge how much my past scores will hurt, given a respectable score on the new MCAT.

Undergrad was a 3.65 and I'm working on a masters now. I'm just trying to be competitive for the 'lower teir' MD schools (if there is such a thing). I'm trying to gauge how much my past scores will hurt, given a respectable score on the new MCAT.
Some schools average MCAT scores, but there are plenty that still judge by most recent score. Apply smart and do your research on which is which before spending application dollars.

Rushing to take the MCAT was a bad decision, but you probably know that now. They'll be able to see all your old scores. If you take it a third time you need to knock it out of the park.