Considering cancelling USMLE? Help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imamedstudentwhee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I apologize in advance for the "panicky" tone this post will likely have. However, I need some advice. I have my USMLE in 3 weeks (COMLEX in ~4) and don't feel prepared at all. I've been going through First AID, but my U-World scores are ~50%, and I only do questions over stuff I covered that day. I'm very tempted to cancel my USMLE so I can focus on COMLEX.

A little about my situation. I don't have the best grades... had a family emergency first year that caused me to have to do the decelerated program (5 year). Second year grades considerably better. I'm wanting to do IM or EM... but leaning more toward IM. I know these questions are annoying, but I still would like to ask: Is this still a possibility, even without USMLE? I'm not limiting myself to only ACGME, and location isn't too big a concern for me. How important is USMLE for pursuing an IM residency?

Appreciate all advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After taking both USMLE and COMLEX early this month, I don't believe there is such a thing as "Just studying for Comlex." Comlex wants you to know the same material and just as much detail as USMLE. The questions are just as hard. For this years Comlex, UWorld + Savarese (Comlex's in the back) was the best preparation for question types, then First Aid and Pathoma for content. Combank was a joke compared to the real thing. Just keep doing UWorld. If you finish, do it again.

Go take an NBME or a UWorld Self Assessment NOW! Find out what you need to improve on. If you are signed up for USMLE, then just keep studying as if you are gonna take it. You will do better on Comlex for it.

Also, just commit to take USMLE, don't panic about it. Just do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I'll try to get through UWorld and FA. I feel like doing an NBME is a waste of time if I haven't even gone over the material again, but I'll do it by the end of the week.

I suppose my main panic right now is that I did all this highlighting/annotation in first aid this semester, prepping for this time... but I've forgotten everything. I just start thinking of names of diseases and say "crap, I forgot everything about that!" even though I went through it yesterday, and get discouraged.

I still have ~60% of UWorld to do, so I'm going to get on that too. I keep bouncing between UWorld and Combank and Kaplan so I should just stick to UWorld.

Yes, and make sure you know the material in the explanations. Make a journal of the material that you need to work on and/or make notes in first aid and review it every couple of days.

If you know UWorld, you will do well. I can understand how you might forget certain concepts that you read the day before. Doing questions will help solidify this knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Sammit, I really appreciate the help. I'm taking notes over every question and plan to review them.
Part of me feels like ACGME IM residencies won't even look at me given my situation with school, so I'm just wondering if it's even worth taking USMLE if I'm only applying to AOA residencies. Any thoughts on this?

Don't jump into the USMLE without an NBME to gauge where you're at. Seriously, if you're worried about failing/just passing, you need to do this. Don't take it if you're borderline.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply Dharma. I haven't been through all my subjects yet... do you think I should take it once I'm done reviewing everything again (in about a week)? Otherwise I'm pretty sure the NBME score will have a poor result.

One more question. My study basically involved going through each subject and doing maybe 50 Qbanks on that subject afterward. Should I abandon this approach and just focus on getting through UWorld? I don't think I can thoroughly review a subject and do 100+ questions per day. :/

Today I've just been hammering UWorld. Did 54 random ones (very low average, but took good notes). About to do another 44. It takes me ~4 hrs to do 44 though. I haven't really reviewed pharm or biochem yet either. I just feel so behind even though I've been studying for weeks!

Just an update: I think I'm going to cancel my USMLE and pursue the AOA IM route (maybe some ACGME, even though they might not view COMLEX as highly) and apply broadly. Maybe it's just late night jitters but the more I think about how much I have yet to study, the more I think it's just important to do well on COMLEX and rock rotations. I know that given my first year struggles and failing 2 courses (patho, anatomy) first year puts me at a huge disadvantage but hopefully some AOA programs consider me! Any words of encouragement willl be greatly appreciated.

You don't need to report your USMLE score to AOA residencies, so if you've already registered and paid for the USMLE, you might as well take it. If you bomb it, you can stick to your above plan and just apply AOA and not report your USMLE score. If you kick things into gear and end up with a decent USMLE score, you will have more options. The only reason not to take it at this point is if you think that you can get a relatively high COMLEX score and use that to apply to ACGME residencies.

Also, as others have said, an NBME would be a great deciding factor. Study your butt off for the next 2 weeks, take an NMBE, and use that to decide whether you should take it or not.

Good luck. I was in a similar situation and ended up just saying "screw it" and took the USMLE. I haven't gotten my score back yet, but I felt pretty good about the test and I'm glad I didn't cancel.

Thanks Brakk. Hm, are you sure about not having to report USMLE to AOA residencies? I thought you had to report it to both ACGME and AOA if you take it (or maybe you don't have to, but it looks extremely suspicious if you don't).

Congrats on your likely success on USMLE by the way! :)

4 hours per block is normal. Keep at it. Don't forget the comlex's in the back of Savarese before comlex and know the facilitation segments down cold.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hijack but do we have to do questions at the back of savarese too If we have already done omm questions from comquest and combank.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Brakk. Hm, are you sure about not having to report USMLE to AOA residencies? I thought you had to report it to both ACGME and AOA if you take it (or maybe you don't have to, but it looks extremely suspicious if you don't).

Congrats on your likely success on USMLE by the way! :)
Thanks! Everything I have seen says that if you take the USMLE and apply ACGME, you must report your score. However, if you apply only AOA, you do not need to report your USMLE score. Beyond that I'm not sure if you need to indicate to AOA residencies if you've taken it or not. Maybe someone with experience in that can chime in.

So I just learned that there may not even be a AOA match by 2017. What does this mean in terms of only taking COMLEX (assuming NBMEs don't work out)??? Would this maker it harder or more difficult to land a spot anywhere? Also, if I do take the USMLE and don't do well, would I have to report it to everywhere I apply with the merger? I'm a little confused. :/

DO NOT TAKE THE USMLE IF YOU ARE NOT READY! Sorry to yell that, but you need to hear this. Let an NBME (or 2, or 3) be the deciding factor, PERIOD. And when it comes to disclosure of information, report EVERYTHING they ask of you. ERAS will ask for both scores, and both AOA and ACGME work through ERAS (i.e. same application service, although separate matches). Don't take chances with nondisclosure; it IS a form of deceit and the last thing you need is this biting you on the backside years down the line. Even if the chances are slim, those are chances easily avoided. Don't take that chance. Report everything. Lying (which includes nondisclosure) will haunt you forever if caught.

As far as IM goes (I don't understand why anyone in his/her right mind would want to go into IM, but to each his/her own), you can certainly find some luck with ACGME programs with COMLEX only. So don't count yourself out of the running yet. The merger will not all of a sudden mean that they will no longer take COMLEX scores for licensure. That said, there won't be a unified match by 2017. I'd be surprised if we even see one by 2020. Don't let any of that play any role in your decision process. (Different story when it comes to residency applications, since some AOA programs will likely be on the chopping block).

Ok, you've heard my opinion. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Dharma! I'll take NBME 2 in a week or so, and 3 the following week. If it's not above 210, I won't risk it.

Just curious, why couldn't you understand anyone wanting to go into IM? Isn't that a common path to subspecializing into other fields?

Thanks for the reply Dharma! I'll take NBME 2 in a week or so, and 3 the following week. If it's not above 210, I won't risk it.

Just curious, why couldn't you understand anyone wanting to go into IM? Isn't that a common path to subspecializing into other fields?
I was half joking; academically I find IM interesting. Going into psych myself though.

Hey all,

So I cancelled my USMLE officially. I'm just feel too behind and am not ready. I have ~3.5 weeks till COMLEX, and every time I look at first aid I feel like I know nothing!!! It's so scary.

Can anyone help me? I have yet to concentrate on pharm or OMM, so I obviously need to focus on those. Neuro is a weak subject for me, so focus on that. Need to hit psych/neuro drugs as well as micro drugs. What do you all recommend my next 3 weeks look like?

I'm 50% done with COMBANK but feel like I'm not learning as well as I need to from it (I did a lot of questions a while back so maybe redo them?) I feel like I should just reset COMBANK and do it all over, but there's no way I can get to anything else if I do that!

I've still have 70% of UWorld to do... should I focus on this? I'm so lost. Please help!

As far as COMSAEs go, I failed my school form D, so I have to retake next week. I feel like I'm going to fail that one too. This is such a horrendous time for me... I could use all the encouragement and support I can get.

You can't reset combank. You have the option to delete couple of tests that's pretty much it.