Considering going back- cognitive psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philyerglesion76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if going back for another degree is necessary, and if so, what's the best option.

I received a Master's degree in kinesiology with a sub-specialty in exercise and sport psychology (no clinical, so not a psych degree). The type of work that interests me most is applied, as I've been a coach of youth athletes for some 20 years, and enjoy helping them become their best in a sport setting. As I worked through my degree, I incorporated what I was learning about mental skills to enhance their experiences. As such, the idea of teaching or research doesn't excite me.

However, I've recently stumbled across, and have become intrigued by the field of cognitive psych which doesn't seem to lend itself to the applied format, from what I've seen in my investigation (maybe I haven't investigated enough). Additionally, the focus of my Master's work revolved around the concept of perceived competence (confidence). Yet, I've not seen this concept associated with cognitive psych, though I would imagine that intrinsic motivation (a significant factor of confidence) would most assuredly be associated with cognitive processes.

Questions:
• Is cognitive psych the wrong focus if going back for a degree?
• Is there anyone doing any kind of research in cognitive psych in relation to perceived competence?
• Is it reasonable to develop a career path in this field in spite of the lack of an applied format?
• Am I thinking too specifically with my area of interest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to clarify your thinking.

For the most part, cog sci is research based. It doesn't matter if it's not applied, if you want to do research. Do you want to do research? Do you want to live like a researcher (grants, academia, etc.)?

Why are you trying to connect your master's work with an unrelated field? Are you hoping for some sort of synergy? If there is not synergy, would you not pursue the cog sci degree? Check google scholar for your search terms.

Being intrigued is not enough of a basis to change careers. Do research to find out if it's what you want to do.

Check out rehab psych and neuropsych to see if your needs might be met by these.

So, as I understand it, you've been coaching for 20 years using the skills you acquired from your education in kinesiology. What are you not able to do now that you would like to be able to do? I guess I just don't understand why you think you need another degree.

For what it's worth, there are opportunities for applied work in cognitive psychology, but not in the area of direct services, coaching, etc. The concepts you're describing seem more fitting with research in social/personality or even clinical psychology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses! They're much appreciated.

I'm really not interested in doing research. As I was getting an idea of what cognitive psych is, it sounded like a relatable field to my interest area. Thus, the nature of my question, with the hope that anyone with experience in cog psych could help me determine if that was truly the case (which it sounds it is not).

As to 'why' I've been considering another degree: I'd like to create a business model for youth sport organizations (e.g., schools, clubs) that offers assistance concerning mental skills training to either coaches or athletes. I have found, albeit anecdotally, that the issue of confidence has impacted many youth athletes both positively and negatively (I realize I'm oversimplifying). It's my belief that obtaining another degree would provide greater credibility toward that end.

Hopefully that's more clarifying and explains why I feel I'm lesser able to do now, than where I want to be.

I think you would be much better served by self-study/reading up on your own and perhaps hiring an academic or two to consult on these issues with you when relevant. Maybe a PhD in exercise science or something along those lines (hopefully working with someone who studies these topics), but even that I think would be of only limited use. It does not sound at all worthwhile to spend 5 years of full-time study to get a little extra background and a whole lot of irrelevant training to your particular goals. Grad school is nothing like undergrad, so its not like the degree would just entail lots of lectures on these topics so you get some additional background. Even if they did, you'd probably have 10 irrelevant courses for every 1 semi-relevant one in any decent cognitive psych PhD. A cognitive psychology program will prepare you to be a cognitive psychologist...which it doesn't sound like you have any desire to be.

As to 'why' I've been considering another degree: I'd like to create a business model for youth sport organizations (e.g., schools, clubs) that offers assistance concerning mental skills training to either coaches or athletes. I have found, albeit anecdotally, that the issue of confidence has impacted many youth athletes both positively and negatively (I realize I'm oversimplifying). It's my belief that obtaining another degree would provide greater credibility toward that end.

Eh, kind of doubt it, to be honest. I agree with Ollie. You need continuing education/self study and some good marketing advice.

Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. I think you're (collectively) right. I feel like I can move forward with more confidence with where I am and only look to supplement my education.