Considering Med School College Senior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maumon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious of my odds for med schools. I'm still working on deciding whether I want to take the time to apply or not. I don't really care MD or DO, but my first choice school would most likely be University of Maryland. Any who here goes....

College Senior

Did an A.A. at my local community college, finished with a 4.0, completed some prereqs like Gen Chem I, A&P I&II, three semesters of English, and two 4 credit math classes

Went to a university, working on my B.S., in my last semester of course work, GPA so far 3.9. B.S. is in Emergency Services Management
Will be a paramedic after completing that.

I plan on working for a few years as a paramedic then doing a Post-Bacc program as the only prerequisites I did were the ones I did while doing my A.A. I have a few docs that I work with a lot that have agreed to let me shadow them after I get my paramedic. Planned on doing this anyways to become a better medic.

I understand that I basically have no science GPA at the moment, just trying to figure things out.

Just poking around. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is great. Get the rest of those science classes done and then study for the mcat. Do you have any other ECs?

It is definitely in your reach if you take the right steps. I think shadowing and some clinical volunteering will help you figure out if it is really what you want to do...

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as a volunteer Firefighter/EMT for 2 years before paramedic school. I've worked with docs for that time as well, as it was part of doing some of my time for the department I was with. I love medicine. The question isn't whether I want to do medicine, but it's in what capacity I want to practice.

That is great that you have all that experience in the health care field then. I would suggest shadowing some more, and doing some non-clinical volunteering. You look like you could be a great applicant!