Considering med school or a graduate program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMDKJP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My current GPA is not where it should be at this point.I'm considering a masters program before attending med school in order to boost my gpa and gain a stronger background in research. I'm stuck with graduating next may which gives me time to improve my gpa and apply to med school then or just go with the masters, then apply. Any thoughts? Some may be wondering why I posted in this particular forum, I am a non-traditional student. I had a child, stopped schooling for a few semesters, re enrolled , then transferred schools. It's been a struggle, needless to say I'm still geared towards attending med school.

Members don't see this ad.

use the grade replacement of DO applications and just do a few strategic retakes at a public university. It will be far cheaper and you can probably fit a few of them in by delaying graduation a semester or so

Reactions: 1 user
use the grade replacement of DO applications and just do a few strategic retakes at a public university. It will be far cheaper and you can probably fit a few of them in by delaying graduation a semester or so
Grade replacement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Grade replacement?

Don't take this the wrong way....but you asking that means you haven't looked into becoming a physician nearly enough and there are probably a number of other things you are overlooking somewhere

DO is the degree offered by osteopathic medical schools, them and the MD degree are the physicians in our country. The DO schools allow you to retake classes to improve your GPA and only your most recent class counts. Google "aacomas grade replacement"

Reactions: 1 user
I've looked more so into MD programs not DO. I've looked into being a physician quite a bit actually. I may not be an expert obviously like you are but I have researched. You should probably work on not trying to demean others. Thanks!

Last edited:
He was trying to help you out, not demean you. It's the Internet, don't take things so personally.

once you start a grad program there are schools that will frown on admitting you until you've graduated from it, so you're locking yourself into that program for the long haul. if you take individual classes as a post-bacc you're not locked in and can apply to med school ever year. that sounds better to me.

once you start a grad program there are schools that will frown on admitting you until you've graduated from it, so you're locking yourself into that program for the long haul. if you take individual classes as a post-bacc you're not locked in and can apply to med school ever year. that sounds better to me.
Yeah that does seem like a more cost effective as well as time effective plan. I've specifically looked at masters program that would be 2 years long and it requires taking the MCAT before being accepted, but one can still apply and attend medical school before finishing the masters program. But so guess that does nothing for the med schools that still reject. I think I'm going to apply for both med school and the grad program just to be safe. I still have a while before graduating and I will be able to work on my gpa in the meanwhile.