Considering relocation to the Caribbean to practice dentistry--PLEASE help, information request

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSDentist2003

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been licensed to practice dentistry in Kansas (US) since 2003. My wife and I are considering relocation to the Caribbean in the very near future. I am hopeful I can buy/own a practice. I am looking for information regarding where I can practice, what the dental license requirements are, what islands are best suited for English speaking (only) practitioners, & practices for sale. Please help, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been licensed to practice dentistry in Kansas (US) since 2003. My wife and I are considering relocation to the Caribbean in the very near future. I am hopeful I can buy/own a practice. I am looking for information regarding where I can practice, what the dental license requirements are, what islands are best suited for English speaking (only) practitioners, & practices for sale. Please help, Thanks!

Hey!
Well you can def buy a practice in the caribbean sin the US$ goes a long way. If you are looking for english only, i wish you luck. PR has both going on, but in reality is mostly Spanish and the crime is beyond words. Cuba, out of the question since is a Spanish speaking environment in terms of pt and laws. Dominican Republic has a few dental schools that teach in english, and pt that are english speaking but that population is (1%). To live there is good, since your us$ can go long, the weather is great. If its not Jamaica, Dominica, Barbados etc you will find english speaking but it won't be as "natural" as here. Also the pt pool, the ones that will pay you your jobs worth, will be pt that are comfortable(2% of population) or well-off or other tourist. And for that you have to think of your location. If you're trying to start from scratch and have a good income, is a bit hard to do, my friend but not impossible. You have to remember that these countries or island have their own grown dentist and their prices at times are so low, is really hard to compete with them. And their work is superb! So do your research first.
FYI: i am american and i became a DDS in a caribbean dental school. I worked/volunteer in other countries (haiti, puerto rico, dominican republic, mexico) as well, as part of building my resume. (so that's why i have an idea lol)
Good luck in all your endeavours!

Thanks for the information. Do you have any knowledge regarding practicing in the Virgin Islands?

Members don't see this ad :)
KSDentist2003:
Besides the fact that is absolutely gorgeous to live: in terms of practicing is also a bit difficult but doable. To my understanding there are several virgin island and they are divided by British territory and US territory and Spanish territory. They use the US dollar in all of them and if i am not mistaken they all speak english with the exception of the Spanish one that have both. There was an issue of some dentist that flew over there (dont know where exactly or what) and were practicing without license or didn't renew them---the point being that they are being extremely strict as to providing permission to practice because of all the complains. I know this because i have a friend who was trying to do this, because he wanted to live in a all-year-same weather but he eventually gave that idea up. But do your research and visit if you can to get an idea as well.
I will give you the link to the VI Dental Board and contact them. If you already have a licenses see if your US License is acceptable in a US territory or what else you would have to do to be able to work there. In terms of Pt population (all territories) are small and like i mention, think of the dentist they already have. You may want to become an associate with an already established dentist, to build your credentials and then if you decide to live there forever then think of buying your own office. From my personal opinion Caribbean people go by word of mouth. Who recommends who and how great their job is. Also, are you a GD or do you have a specialty?
Hope all of this helped you. Good Luck!

Virgin Islands Board of Dental Examiners
1303 Hospital Ground, Suite 10
St Thomas, VI 00802
Phone Number: (340) 774-0117
Fax Number: (340) 777-4001
Email Address: [email protected]

look at their living calculation expenses:
http://www.vimovingcenter.com/cost_of_living/

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I have been looking into licensing and will follow up with the VI board of dental examiners.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!
Well you can def buy a practice in the caribbean sin the US$ goes a long way. If you are looking for english only, i wish you luck. PR has both going on, but in reality is mostly Spanish and the crime is beyond words. Cuba, out of the question since is a Spanish speaking environment in terms of pt and laws. Dominican Republic has a few dental schools that teach in english, and pt that are english speaking but that population is (1%). To live there is good, since your us$ can go long, the weather is great. If its not Jamaica, Dominica, Barbados etc you will find english speaking but it won't be as "natural" as here. Also the pt pool, the ones that will pay you your jobs worth, will be pt that are comfortable(2% of population) or well-off or other tourist. And for that you have to think of your location. If you're trying to start from scratch and have a good income, is a bit hard to do, my friend but not impossible. You have to remember that these countries or island have their own grown dentist and their prices at times are so low, is really hard to compete with them. And their work is superb! So do your research first.
FYI: i am american and i became a DDS in a caribbean dental school. I worked/volunteer in other countries (haiti, puerto rico, dominican republic, mexico) as well, as part of building my resume. (so that's why i have an idea lol)
Good luck in all your endeavours!

hello im interested in the names of the dental shchools in the Dominican Republic that teach in english thanks in advance