Considering taking an extra year at undergrad to raise GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tt1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted your guys' opinion on taking another year to raise GPA.

My GPA is already decently high (3.78), but I wanted to take an extra year to push it up over 3.8 because I'm considering applying to MSTP programs which are pretty competitive.

That said, I already have all my prereqs done so the classes I'd be taking would be relatively easy ones I know I can get a good grade in.

How will schools feel about me taking "easy" science and math classes after taking stuff like molecular bio and advanced genetics the semester before? Will this hurt me more than help?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand how competitive those programs are but I dont really see how it will be worth your time to invest another full year of courses just for 0.02 points. Think about it logically, in this year off you will be missing out on a full years worth of salary as an MD/PhD or just an MD itself. Even if you get to a 3.8 there is still no guarantee you get into one of these programs. Id take my chances and apply this cycle to both the MSTP programs and several MD programs.

I just wanted your guys' opinion on taking another year to raise GPA.

My GPA is already decently high (3.78), but I wanted to take an extra year to push it up over 3.8 because I'm considering applying to MSTP programs which are pretty competitive.

That said, I already have all my prereqs done so the classes I'd be taking would be relatively easy ones I know I can get a good grade in.

How will schools feel about me taking "easy" science and math classes after taking stuff like molecular bio and advanced genetics the semester before? Will this hurt me more than help?
If you have less than two years of research experience, that would be a good reason to delay applying to MSTPs. Hoping to raise your GPA .02, which may not happen due to unforeseen events, is not a good idea. Neither is taking easy classes in your final semesters when you wish to apply to programs noted for their rigor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not take a couple of challenging classes + do a bunch of research for credit?

Do you know how high the GPA will get?

Honestly, I don't blame you for doing it. I want to go to an ivy and the like, which is why I'm going to do a post-bacc with pretty much all BCPM classes and boost my GPA as high as possible. If you can afford it, i say go for it. You don't want any "weak" spots in your application, especially when you are competing against an applicant pool who have to have higher stats than just MD applicants (which are already high)

Do you know how high the GPA will get?

Honestly, I don't blame you for doing it. I want to go to an ivy and the like, which is why I'm going to do a post-bacc with pretty much all BCPM classes and boost my GPA as high as possible. If you can afford it, i say go for it. You don't want any "weak" spots in your application, especially when you are competing against an applicant pool who have to have higher stats than just MD applicants (which are already high)

The highest I could feasibly get it with a year of classes is a 3.83. I have so many credits that it's not going to be a huge jump. I would just really prefer to stay in MA or close by since my boyfriend is working on his master's at Harvard and I don't want to have to go long distance for a year or longer. I'd like to maximize my chances at harvard, tufts and maybe BU (even though it's not MSTP) since I don't want to end up somewhere really far away.

One thing I am interested in, is if you only have less than 2 years of research experience...

You really can't know if you really want to be a physician scientist...I mean...you're doing the whole MD thing on top of getting a PhD...and I think that most MSTP programs want to see if you're an independent investigator through being able to handle a project on your own.

Most labs at my undergrad usually won't let people just take on projects in their first year of joining a lab....

Perhaps taking some extra time will be very beneficial for you with the MSTP aspirations...