Considering the Career Change to Medicine: Extension and CC Courses as a Trial??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valkryst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Student Doctor Community,

I'm currently enjoying a career in private sector consulting, but I am considering changing careers to the path of medicine. I have been considering registering for extension or community college courses as a way to try out the premed curriculum before calling it completely quits on my current career.

I am currently volunteering at UCLA medical center and enjoy the work there, what I've been thinking of is taking a single class each quarter for the next six months or so before I make my decision to switch.

I know this will disqualify me from a postbacc program, but outside of that caveat - are there any other disadvantages or considerations I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can do an informal Post Bacc if you like. Taking courses as an extension or CC student won't affect that. You won't be eligible for some formal post bacc programs but not all so take a course here and there if needed.