Considering the switch to pre-PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DollFaceD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the board and looking for some advice. I'm considering a switch from Pre-Rad. Therapy to Pre-PT. They are both a concentration in the health science major at my school. My GPA is a bit low(3.4 cum, about 3.2 in the pre-reqs my top choice schools require). I've completed my first year of undergrad and have about 40 credits so far and I'm taking summer classes this summer and I'm open to taking them next summer as well(I was supposed to for Pre Rad. Therapy). Because I have so many credits this far in and I'll probably end up finishing up early because I've been taking 16 or so per semester, I'll probably finish undergrad a year early. It's bothering me because for early decision for the school I would like to go to, the application is due June 1st. This scares me because that means I only have a year to complete volunteer hours(my top choice says 40 min. from 2 different areas, but my undergrad university recommends 75-100 hours) and get recommendations and all of that. I also don't have a car, so transportation to actually do the volunteer hours is also an issue. I don't have a car because I've been supporting myself and paying for my own expenses, COA, and all of that, so it was just really hard for me to afford one as an independent 1st year college student. I also have to take time out to study for/ take the GRE, so that's another struggle. What do I do in this situation? It will be a bit harder for me to sit out a year after undergrad. Also, how many sciences did you take in a semester? And what were they? ANY advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I got into a couple of schools and had a marketing major. I took my pre reqs at a community college. I think the most important thing is that GPA. Especially for the pre reqs. I had all As for the pre reqs except the chemistry lectures. With that I would say focus on doing high quality work and bring up those grades. No need to rush if it hurts your grades.
Take some time to focus your observation hours. They want to see a variety of settings. Not how many hrs. It might be hard but you're at an advantage because your struggle will look good on your personal statement, which gets you the interview along with your grades. It shows passion.
When I went back to school for my sciences I worked hard. I had a semester of chemistry, physics, a&p, all their labs, and stats while working and shadowing. When I applied I had all my hours and was only missing Chem 2 and Physics 2; but I made sure I had A&P 1 and 2 done with As when I applied as well.
Do what you can. Don't rush. I'm 27 and it's totally fine. Lol I start my first year in July.

Thank you so much for your advice! Congrats on getting ready to start school! You worked hard. You deserve it.

Reactions: 1 user