Considering UC Berkeley Extension...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering applying for the UC Berkeley Extension program, and was hoping to
a) make sure I am converting credits --> course GPA units correctly...24 credit hours = 8 classes, right?
and b) ask for general advice

For a bit of background, I graduated 2 months ago from a top-ranked college...however, I had absolutely ZERO intention of going to med school, and so did not complete med school prereqs. Fortunately, I was a chem major (specifically organic chem...all of my upper level electives were orgo-based) with a strong background in microbiology (worked in a graduate cancer research lab in HS), so I took way more than the required chem and biology (almost completed the bio major as well, but the only remaining courses were ecology and plant-based, which didn't interest me!) So, while I definitely need to take some classes, I don't need very many.

However, my transcript is a little...spotty. There were a few semesters where my focus was not academics or when one course dragged a few other down with it. So not only is my GPA awful for med school (only a 3.2), there's not even a good trend. It's just hit and miss throughout, alternating good and bad semesters.

Pros:
-I have to take some classes anyway
-Avoids prereqs being comm college classes
-Requires at least 24 credit hours (max GPA boost of 3.2-->3.4)
-Allows me to work for a few years before applying (my job is biology/chem research)
-Gives me an upward trend and shows commitment to med career
-Offers some good med-school specific electives (anatomy, phys, virology, CTphys, etc...)
-Offers med school advising.

Cons:
Mainly that it's more expensive and takes a lot of time. Regardless of what I do in Post-Bacc, my undergrad transcript is set. I'm not sure how much credence is given to postbacc grade padding. Will the extra .2 in GPA, earned this way, give me enough of a boost to make it into decent MD programs? Is it worth it?

I'm tempted take my two last prereqs in CC, apply now, and see if my good research background and a (hopefully) 30+MCAT* are enough. Thoughts?

*(I know I shouldn't assume, but I was built to take exams and I will study as long as needed since I'm nontrad anyway!)

Members don't see this ad.

Looking into it further, it seems that you can either enroll in the Health Professions postbac program and get a certificate, or you can just take whichever classes you want, freestyle. Is there an advantage to enrolling in the program, or is it enough to just take the classes?

If you are in the Bay Area already, UCB Ext is a good option (multiple campuses, good flexibility). I wouldn't move here to specifically attend. The teachers vary dramatically and so do the difficulty of the courses. Even the same class taught by different teachers can vary (no standardization).

I've taken the O-Chem and Physics sequences (w/o the labs), molecular bio and biochem at UCB Ext. I'll be taking Physics labs in the fall if all goes according to plan.

Based on what you need (GPA repair), I think any 4 yr school will do. If you opt of UCB Ext, I'd just take the classes you want piecemeal and not through the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already plan to live and work in the Bay area, so it seemed like a good option, since it provides class times which allow a full time job. I don't have the money to do a formal postbacc elsewhere, although I'd be willing to go to a different state (anywhere) as long as it also had research jobs in the area. I'm not particularly worried about the consistency of the courses; I just want to make sure that if I put in the extra money/time, it's at a program the med schools will respect.

Did you end up attending the Berkeley Extension formal Post Bacc program?

I'd love to hear any reviews on this program that you or others may have. I couldn't find many recent reviews of it (if any) on this forum, so any tips on post bacc experiences at Berkeley would be much appreciated!

Did you end up attending the Berkeley Extension formal Post Bacc program?

I'd love to hear any reviews on this program that you or others may have. I couldn't find many recent reviews of it (if any) on this forum, so any tips on post bacc experiences at Berkeley would be much appreciated!

Hey, I just enrolled in the program and I can give some feedback. I've completed one course and am halfway through a second course. Molecular Biology with Holmes and Hematology with Chien. It's definitely a good program, a little on the expensive side for what they offer IMO. But overall it's good. Holmes was a good teacher and responsive, though his course content wasn't how I envisioned it would be (though others loved it so). Chien is not so great. Unreponsive and not a great teacher, also he doesn't write his own tests and there's a mismatch between course content and tests. He's very nice tho, but that's not worth much to me.

The program fits my needs, and currently, I'm happy that I've enrolled. If you've got questions, PM me

Reactions: 1 user