Contact acquaintance about application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nairopil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the long story short is that I'm a non-trad who only applied to one school last year because I had to stay local for my husband's job. I did this knowing I would most likely need to reapply this year, and I'll be applying very broadly.

I didn't get an II at that school, but recently found out that a lady who attends my church is the assistant dean there. Now my husband thinks that I should write to her asking for advice on my application, since I didn't get in. But I'm applying there again this year, and I'm worried it will look shady if I contact her directly instead of just asking admissions for feedback. Is it going to seem like I'm asking for special treatment?

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed with the above.

I wont specify how, but I essentially did the same thing asking for feedback on my app from specific people, not via the official admissions channels (alot of schools btw).

Id says 60% did not respond. 30% provided solid advice. 5% provided helpful but misguided advice. 5% told me they weren't able to help but were kind about letting me know. Although N=1, I think in one case it might have helped me gain admission.

edit: oh Im not sure if this is 100% true but ive been told noone at a school can comment on your app once its been submitted. I solicited feedback prior to submission.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with above about asking for feedback before submission would probably be best, especially if you want to address your specific situation. I don't know how big your church is, but could you be introduced to her by a mutual friend without it being awkward? I feel like that would be fine. I may have a different mindset now, but as I'm getting ready to apply to residency, if I went to church with a program director in my field at a desired institution I would certainly go out of my way to introduce myself to them and shake their hand, and if I had specific questions, ask them if they would be willing to give me a few minutes someday to talk.

I don't know how big your church is, but could you be introduced to her by a mutual friend without it being awkward?

It's a very small church, so I already know her, but not well. We've exchanged a few words. Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.