Contacting AAMC people about MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdsbeak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to get the MCAT people to tell you how many you go wrong or how many you left blank? I am convinced there is some sort of error on my MCAT. I was scoring in the mid-30's on all my MCAT practice tests. I left the test day MCAT with a great feeling. To come back with a 27 is a travesty. Something clearly went wrong.

So, to repeat, anyone know a way to get the MCAT people to investigate and let you know how many wrong and such?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they'll be able to tell you specifics on your test but it wouldn't hurt to try.

im in a similar situation, i scored a 28R after getting 34Q last year! My practice scores this year were around 35. I dropped by 4 in BS and 3 in PS. I was shocked with how bad I did. did you write on sept 12?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I took the exam on Sept. 12. I'm gutted. I am going to have to pick myself up and dust myself off soon. I can't mope around for more than a day or two at most.

Yeah, I took the exam on Sept. 12. I'm gutted. I am going to have to pick myself up and dust myself off soon. I can't mope around for more than a day or two at most.

Birdsbeak,

I just wanted to say I'm really sorry. I know that my greatest fear was getting a score I wouldn't be happy with, that would explain my tears of fear before clicking refresh the final time. I'm really sorry. I wish there was something I could say that would make you feel better, but the good news is, you can always retake. It's not a one-shot deal. Good luck! *hugs*

Hey Decaf,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. If I have to retake, then I have to retake. It's one thing to expect a bad score and get a bad score. Expecting a good score and getting a bad score is upsetting. But, these things happen. I will pick myself up and dust myself off. Suffice to say, I'm ready to fight for what I want. 20 years down the road this will seem like small stuff.

Cheers.

The bigger question is why did you take with a 34Q??? No offense, but unless you are in canada it is your own fault.

this is why I get annoyed with people (outside of Canada where there are strict cutoffs) that retake with 33+ MCAT scores.
From another post:
i went from 34Q last year to 28R this year. Totally shocked i did so much worse. Only reason i retook was cause i'm from Ontario and had an 8 in verbal.

This sucks

I guess ill be writing it again

The bigger question is why did you take with a 34Q??? No offense, but unless you are in canada it is your own fault.

this is why I get annoyed with people (outside of Canada where there are strict cutoffs) that retake with 33+ MCAT scores. I'll tell you a little secret. The chances of going down are a lot higher then people give credit for. There is data on AAMC's website to prove this. I've seen the links here in the past but don't know how to get to them specifically.

I am canadian, right here from ontario. I had an 8 in verbal and didn't meet any school's cutoffs. Funny thing is i dropped 6 points but with a 9 in VR, i meet UofT's cutoff.

I sent in the request to get my MCAT regraded. They wouldn't offer the option if they didn't make mistakes every so often. The service rep on the phone said so themselves. The $50 fee is worth the piece of mind. If the score comes back the same, then I will get ready to retake and accept the score I received. Now, let's say my MCAT comes back with a higher score (slim chance most likely), then that was money well spent, still. It's a win win situation.

I sent in the request to get my MCAT regraded. They wouldn't offer the option if they didn't make mistakes every so often. The service rep on the phone said so themselves. The $50 fee is worth the piece of mind. If the score comes back the same, then I will get ready to retake and accept the score I received. Now, let's say my MCAT comes back with a higher score (slim chance most likely), then that was money well spent, still. It's a win win situation.

how long did they say it takes for the regrade?

The website says to allow up to 4 weeks for a response. I called the MCAT people and the lady on the phone says it doesn't always take 4 weeks. They give themselves 4 weeks but it may happen sooner. I will be sure to let you guys know how it all turns out and what sort of information the MCAT people return to me.

They would not offer this service if they didn't make mistakes from time to time. The 50 seashells is worth peace of mind. I personally think that if they find a mistake they should refund my investment.

also, is there a certain date after which you can't get your scores regraded? like a month after scores release or something.

The request to have your test regraded must be received within 30 days of the test *score* release date. It's a small window. They don't make it easy for you since you have to write in and address the envelope. It's all a bit cloak and dagger. I am sure they don't want it to get out that they make mistakes. Maybe they didn't on mine, but it's worth checking out.

Like I said, it probably won't affect my score. But, what if it does? Either way, I feel it's money well spent. I will move on, I'm not going to linger on this issue. That's not very productive.

BTW, Milkman, I'm a grad of UNC-CH. Go Heels.