Contacting faculty for shadowing experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live about an hour away from Touro University in California and am having a hard time finding a doctor to shadow. Would it be weird if I emailed faculty listed on the Touro website asking if they knew of any doctors in my area that are open to having students shadow them? Has any one tried this as a way to find a DO to shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

I live about an hour away from Touro University in California and am having a hard time finding a doctor to shadow. Would it be weird if I emailed faculty listed on the Touro website asking if they knew of any doctors in my area that are open to having students shadow them? Has any one tried this as a way to find a DO to shadow?
I think there are a few websites that you can use to get a blind shadow date with a physician. The AOA has a search feature http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/find-a-do/Pages/default.aspx . I wouldn't contact the school, show them that you are a big person and can do this on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tried the iLearn website, but I didn't have any luck. :(

I emailed a few DO's this morning though after hunting around for email addresses and one of them has already responded positively, so I'm happy about that!

I emailed the admissions counselor at the DO school in my state, and she sent me a handy spreadsheet with contact information for alumni that were willing to be shadowed. I did not get the impression that the admissions committee looked down upon me for asking, and she was really happy to help me.

Google "osteopathic physicians in [city]", and start calling offices.

Contact one of the admissions counselors about setting up some shadowing.

That's what I did with Western and it worked out. Good luck

How about contacting the DOs that are preceptors for the school? I'm sure the school would give you a list of participating docs.