Contacting Faculty or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych844

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys suggest contacting faculty you are interested in working with or not? From your experience, does it make any difference in terms of admission?

The Insiders Guide suggests ways in which it would be appropriate, and what not to do..but just wanted to get a sense if it's necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys suggest contacting faculty you are interested in working with or not? From your experience, does it make any difference in terms of admission?

The Insiders Guide suggests ways in which it would be appropriate, and what not to do..but just wanted to get a sense if it's necessary.

Are you a student applying to grad school admission or in and hoping to get admitted to a specialty program?

I've never minded an email from any aspiring student asking nicely about my research, etc. I probably wouldn't remember your name positively unless you really impressed me.

A phone call can be annoying if you are an undergrad and showing up would make me probably not want to admit you, as I'd think crazy stalker or boundary issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a student applying to grad school admission or in and hoping to get admitted to a specialty program?

I've never minded an email from any aspiring student asking nicely about my research, etc. I probably wouldn't remember your name positively unless you really impressed me.

A phone call can be annoying if you are an undergrad and showing up would make me probably not want to admit you, as I'd think crazy stalker or boundary issues.

Grad school admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, email rather than phone call would be best. And I've never known it to impact admissions decisions, but it can be informative for you (e.g., what research they're currently involved in, if they're actually taking students--assuming that information isn't already listed on their faculty webpage, etc.).

I emailed the professors who were on my short list (six of them), but I didn't email all of them. I was offered interviews and admission from 3/6 I emailed (including my top choice school) and from 3 other people I didn't email. I think an email helps put you on their radar, but it in no way impacts admission decisions. Your personal statements will affect their perception of you more than an email.

+1, at least in my case. My eventual advisor never mentioned (or probably even recalled) the small handful of emails we exchanged before I applied, but he brought up my personal statement during my interview with him, and multiple time while I was in grad school afterward. He truthfully remembered the thing better than I did.

Agreed, email rather than phone call would be best. And I've never known it to impact admissions decisions, but it can be informative for you (e.g., what research they're currently involved in, if they're actually taking students--assuming that information isn't already listed on their faculty webpage, etc.).
I was definitely interviewed solely because of email communication with POIs. If your research fits and you are interested in their work, e-mail because the easier it is to find a mentor match for you and them.. the happier everyone will be. Like they said though, this is not a shoe-in thing to be expected.

You NEED to email them to make sure they are taking a student (unless they are one of the folks who puts that on the web site). If they aren't taking a student that year, applying to their lab would be a waste.

We're used to getting these "are you planning to take anyone next year" emails.

Reactions: 1 users
You NEED to email them to make sure they are taking a student (unless they are one of the folks who puts that on the web site). If they aren't taking a student that year, applying to their lab would be a waste.

We're used to getting these "are you planning to take anyone next year" emails.

Unless that information is explicitly stated on their website. I've been told that emailing a POI asking if they will be taking a student when that information is plastered on their faculty page or the department page looks like you haven't properly researched the program/you don't pay attention to detail.

Unless that information is explicitly stated on their website. I've been told that emailing a POI asking if they will be taking a student when that information is plastered on their faculty page or the department page looks like you haven't properly researched the program/you don't pay attention to detail.
Yup, I said that in my post. I don't know many people who do this, but you need to check the faculty web site (and, both the university web site and any external site they maintain themselves--often the uni web site is simple and the external page is the one they actually update).

Yup, I said that in my post. I don't know many people who do this, but you need to check the faculty web site (and, both the university web site and any external site they maintain themselves--often the uni web site is simple and the external page is the one they actually update).

Whoops, I can't read. I wasn't trying to be obnoxious! Sorry! :D

btw..how seriously would you guys take the ratemyprofessor ratings of some of the faculty? Should I bypass a professor that is really badly rated even if my research interests line up? I don't know in general, but for my university anyways, the ratings have always been very accurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
btw..how seriously would you guys take the ratemyprofessor ratings of some of the faculty? Should I bypass a professor that is really badly rated even if my research interests line up? I don't know in general, but for my university anyways, the ratings have always been very accurate.
None.

Talk with grad students in the faculty's labs...that's where students get the most accurate info. This would only apply if you get interviewed or at least make the first cut and asking to talk to a current grad student wouldn't seem out of place.

Also, only email a prof if you have a pretty good understanding of their research and it is actually a good fit. I get a lot of emails from undergrads looking for research positions and it is typically very clear who has a clue and who doesn't, the same idea applies to contacting profs for grad school.

Also, only email a prof if you have a pretty good understanding of their research and it is actually a good fit. I get a lot of emails from undergrads looking for research positions and it is typically very clear who has a clue and who doesn't, the same idea applies to contacting profs for grad school.

Hello Mr.Professor,

I'm a student and I love neuropsychology. Oh, neuropsychology...I just love the brain soooo much, can't get enough. I especially love discussing executive function and memory over a coffee..memory is key because if you can't remember something,.....you're bound to get angry and frustrated..and I love nothing more then to study anger and frustration. I'd be a great match for your lab because I'm patient and calm, unlike the people who have memory issues...now it certainly isn't their fault..but you get the point..you are a neuropsychologist after all.

Regards..and I hope this email finds you well! I'm ready to start as soon as possible!!!!!

Last edited:
Hello Mr.Professor,

I'm a student and I love neuropsychology. Oh, neuropsychology...I just love the brain soooo much, can't get enough. I especially love discussing executive function and memory over a coffee..memory is key because if you can't remember something,.....you're bound to get angry and frustrated..and I love nothing more then to study anger and frustration. I'd be a great match for your lab because I'm patient and calm, unlike the people who have memory issues...now it certainly isn't their fault..but you get the point..you are a neuropsychologist after all.

Regards..and I hope this email finds you well! I'm ready to start as soon as possible!!!!!

"Mr. Professor" ?????????????? (You'd have lost many right there!)

Try Dear Dr. XYZ

Anger and frustration? is that post TBI? Many people with memory problems are not angry and frustrated. It's not the memory problem itself that often causes anger and frustration, so do a bit of research if this is an area of interest.

"I'm patient and calm, unlike the people who have memory issues" = not a good way to word this. Patient and calm are not the traits I am most interested in for a grad student researcher. I do like someone who pays attention to detail and has research interests/experiences in undergrad. Does the professor have a lab or clinic for research?

Make the email professional! Do not use "...." Think APA format and not conversational.

hahaha. I'm on the floor. That was not a serious email. Notice what I bolded in Therapist4change post? That was my attempt to be funny.

btw..how seriously would you guys take the ratemyprofessor ratings of some of the faculty?

There is a predictive formula for those ratings, and it includes being male, nice looking, and practicing grade inflation.

In other words, these are not to be taken seriously at all.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a predictive formula for those ratings, and it includes being male, nice looking, and practicing grade inflation.

In other words, these are not to be taken seriously at all.

I agree to a large extent but I do look for consistency in complaints that I find suggests a prof who is burnt out or just plain not into teaching, like poor office hours, reads from power points, really easy but doesn't cover material, uses test banks that are available online, easy to make A's, etc.

I actually like profs who have a lot of: hard to make an A, but covers the materials, offers test reviews, expects students to attend class, complaints like: will fail you, hates students, etc usually just mean the student failed and is bashing the prof.

Many (nearly all?) public schools are required to post professor evals, which is a better source of data for this but still not really useful for grads school. I've never seen a private school that posted those, though.

I agree to a large extent but I do look for consistency in complaints that I find suggests a prof who is burnt out or just plain not into teaching, like poor office hours, reads from power points, really easy but doesn't cover material, uses test banks that are available online, easy to make A's, etc.

I actually like profs who have a lot of: hard to make an A, but covers the materials, offers test reviews, expects students to attend class, complaints like: will fail you, hates students, etc usually just mean the student failed and is bashing the prof.

This is how I'd approach sites like ratemyprofessor as well. To the best of my knowledge, those ratings are entirely or almost-entirely submitted by undergrads, so it may not give you much of an idea as to how the professor is as a grad mentor. I've known a number of profs who weren't necessarily the greatest teachers in their undergrad classes, but who were amazing graduate advisors.

But to speak to what MamaPhD also mentioned, the fact that such sites often also include a "hotness" rating doesn't increase my confidence in their results.

What would you suggest saying in an email to a prospective supervisor? I've gone through the application process before and at the time I stuck to the very general outline basically saying hi, saying that i'm interested in their work, and asking if they're taking on any new students. What would you suggest adding?

What would you suggest saying in an email to a prospective supervisor? I've gone through the application process before and at the time I stuck to the very general outline basically saying hi, saying that i'm interested in their work, and asking if they're taking on any new students. What would you suggest adding?

I think that's a good start. I applied this past cycle and I followed this format. As others have mentioned, it's good to check their website and see if they've posted any information there before you contact. When I emailed, I briefly stated what I was interested & then double-checked to see if they were accepting. Most responded, a few did not.