Contacting highly ranked programs to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which programs should post-interview season letters of interest be sent to?

• Only to first choice program (i.e. "I am going to rank you #1")

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Above + to 2nd-3rd choice programs (i.e. "I am interested in your program and will rank it highly")

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Above + to 4th-5th choice programs (i.e. "I am interested in your program and will rank it highly")

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

SEPA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear thoughts on who letters of interest should be sent to as I've heard mixed reviews.

For programs that aren't our first choice, are letters of interest saying s0mething to the effect of "I like your program and will rank it highly" appreciated? Or simply seen as negative statements of "You're not my #1."

Members don't see this ad.

I would contact my top 3 places and let them know I thought they had strong programs and hope they would rank me. If you have a clear cut #1 I would tell them so and hope they respond well. But also cover my ass with a few more emails to the others but not phrase it as highly ranked.

Or... You could be polite and send thank you letters to everyone and no letters of interest at all.

If you have very specific reasons for ranking a place high on your list (My spouse, due to job prospects, can only live in these two cities and I LOVE your program!, or 'my spouse has already matched at this institution, and I would love to stay with him/her'), then by all means, send a note. But for most applicants, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

What kinds of replys are people getting in response to LOIs

Nothing. :) It means nothing to them but it doesn't hurt to send the message.....

Reactions: 1 user
Telling a program whether you are going to rank them highly or #1 will have no affect on your ranking by the program. Definitely to not tell a program you are going to rank them #2. If you don't plan to rank them #1, don't tell them where you are going to rank them. You'll like an idiot - taken from a true story.

Reactions: 1 users
If you tell them "you are number 1" they won't believe you, and it won't affect your rank. Too many people lie.
If you tell them "you are one of my top choices", they will take that to mean "not your number 1 choice".
If you send nothing at all, you will not have expressed interest, and they will take that to mean "not your number 1 choice".
So pick your poison.

Reactions: 1 user