PhD/PsyD Contacting Professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXIDaShizIXx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For applying to Ph.D. programs, should I start contacting professors with questions that I want to work with now? Or should I wait until September when the majority of applications are open? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I'd wait until September. Many faculty are on vacation or are on 9-month appointments, so they are not working at full speed right now. Also, many programs won't know about funding until the fall, so a faculty member interested in taking a student might not yet know if they will be *able* to take a student. In short? Wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think later July/early August is fine. I'd rather get emails about it before the Fall semester starts.

I contacted my POIs and have gotten information from about half so far and they have been very helpful! Some were forwarded to graduate assistants though.

I contacted my POIs and have gotten information from about half so far and they have been very helpful! Some were forwarded to graduate assistants though.
Hey ,

I am wondering how to ask them and what is the best thing to write ?