Contacting Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby_Normal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is it (is it?) customary to send letters of interest to programs you haven't heard back from? I had assumed the answer is not for a while, if at all, but some classmates applying in other specialties are already thinking about it. It seems early to me, but I just want to make sure this isn't a customary thing I'm missing.

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably wait until at least the end of October.

Yeah, waiting a couple of more weeks would be good...
Right now I'm getting 3-5 of these a day, and they go straight into my "deal with later" and "Much later" Outlook folders--unless they're very clearly from someone with a close tie to our program or city. So, at this point, reserve these requests for your "must see" programs and let us know why you're so very definitely interested in us. Otherwise it's probably not actually helping you so much.

Oh, also, if you're sending out a bunch of these all at once--when you paste in my name, or the program name, or our city, you may want to proofread before you hit "Send", and make sure the font matches the rest of the email. Because if you don't, well, it might look like you're desperately sending these out randomly...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was assuming it wasn't something one EVER did, but when I saw my classmates talking about it, I thought I should check it out...I have enough interviews that overall, I probably don't need to worry.

However, I do have a question about contacting etiquette in two specific cases of programs I haven't heard back from yet (that, in the pre-interview stage of things, happen to tied for #1 on my list):
#1 : This program is not overly competitive to my knowledge, but it is very small. Very interested, largely because of family ties to the area, which are suggested by my permanent address, though I go to medical school several states away. Also very interested because one of my attendings did his residency there and spoke highly of it (I didn't get a letter from him because I mostly interacted with him for didactics rather than clinical stuff).
#2: Competitive program where I did an away rotation. Was told by clerkship director at orientation that they extend interviews to all rotators. Got extremely positive evaluations but no invite yet.

Thanks. I was assuming it wasn't something one EVER did, but when I saw my classmates talking about it, I thought I should check it out...I have enough interviews that overall, I probably don't need to worry.

However, I do have a question about contacting etiquette in two specific cases of programs I haven't heard back from yet (that, in the pre-interview stage of things, happen to tied for #1 on my list):
#1 : This program is not overly competitive to my knowledge, but it is very small. Very interested, largely because of family ties to the area, which are suggested by my permanent address, though I go to medical school several states away. Also very interested because one of my attendings did his residency there and spoke highly of it (I didn't get a letter from him because I mostly interacted with him for didactics rather than clinical stuff).
#2: Competitive program where I did an away rotation. Was told by clerkship director at orientation that they extend interviews to all rotators. Got extremely positive evaluations but no invite yet.

Those both fall into the category of an applicant having a specific reason for wanting to interview at a given, and you would be well within the norm to drop a quick, polite, personal email to the program asking about interview plans.

Yeah, waiting a couple of more weeks would be good...
Right now I'm getting 3-5 of these a day, and they go straight into my "deal with later" and "Much later" Outlook folders--unless they're very clearly from someone with a close tie to our program or city. So, at this point, reserve these requests for your "must see" programs and let us know why you're so very definitely interested in us. Otherwise it's probably not actually helping you so much.

Oh, also, if you're sending out a bunch of these all at once--when you paste in my name, or the program name, or our city, you may want to proofread before you hit "Send", and make sure the font matches the rest of the email. Because if you don't, well, it might look like you're desperately sending these out randomly...

LOL. I Love it! That is so hilarious, got any good stories?

Quick question, is it better to contact the PD or PC with letters of interest for programs I've yet to hear from?