Contacting research-track residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratherbefishing

Name says it all.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to some research track residencies and have a couple of questions. Some of the websites say to contact a coordinator in the department if we are going to be applying. Should I wait until after Sept 15 when applications go out to email them or should I do it earlier? I think some of them have supplementary applications that I could work on now rather than later.

Secondly, is it ok to contact faculty at places to inquire about spots in their lab, research interests, etc before we have an interview invite? There are a handful of investigators that I am particularly interested in at different institutions and would want to work with during the research portion of residency, but I don't want to be presumptuous before I've even been considered for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely contact the programs BEFORE applying.
I also don't think there is anything wrong with contacting PIs, just to get more info. You will be talking about joining their lab several years in advance, so it should be just about getting info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to some research track residencies and have a couple of questions. Some of the websites say to contact a coordinator in the department if we are going to be applying. Should I wait until after Sept 15 when applications go out to email them or should I do it earlier? I think some of them have supplementary applications that I could work on now rather than later.

This is completely different than I'm used to. The process is different in rad onc, so I don't know what to tell you. I don't know what it's like in IM.

Secondly, is it ok to contact faculty at places to inquire about spots in their lab, research interests, etc before we have an interview invite? There are a handful of investigators that I am particularly interested in at different institutions and would want to work with during the research portion of residency, but I don't want to be presumptuous before I've even been considered for residency.

I wouldn't. I would wait until invited to interview. But this may be different in derm, I just don't know.

Ok to email program coordinators. mayo had a separate supplementary application for 3+1. Miami u have to email the PD for 3+1 in advance.

I won't email PIs before u get invite...interview invitations are hard to get for derm. After u get interview u can email the PIs. At many places they schedule addition research interviews. Northwestern is one of them. Also be prepared to give a research talk at most research track programs. pM me if u have questions

The supplementary applications are all the same 3-4 questions worded a bit differently. I did them along with the rest of ERAS and submitted everything on the same day. No one seemed to mind in internal medicine.