contemplating my chances of getting in, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Couple of questions,

*2.9sGPA, 3.0oGPA, MCAT pending (will take soon)
*shadowed 5 podiatrists
*research
*started a pre-podiatry club at my university

Which schools have the earliest clinic exposure?
Are all podiatrists trained for surgery?
Which schools are STRICTLY 2 years(didactic) and last 2 years(clinical), I heard some schools still have you doing some didactic courses in the 3rd year....
Which schools have 4th year externships?

Thanks a lot everyone! Hopefully you can help me out with this.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok gpa, good luck to u on mcats. U cannot leave podiatry witgout being surgically trained, it is now a requirement in residency. I wouldnt care about which school has earliest clinical exposure, and i thought all schools have 4th year externships?? May i also suggest looking into schools that take their classes with do/md students. The motivation to go over anything outside the foot feels diminished in both the students, AND the professors when the classroom consists only of students all geared towards podiatry but i imagine it to be different in classes combined with do/md students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Couple of questions,

*2.9sGPA, 3.0oGPA, MCAT pending (will take soon)
*shadowed 5 podiatrists
*research
*started a pre-podiatry club at my university

Which schools are STRICTLY 2 years(didactic) and last 2 years(clinical), I heard some schools still have you doing some didactic courses in the 3rd year....

Thanks a lot everyone! Hopefully you can help me out with this.
http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/stats_mar.asp
http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics...applicants.asp

Do a little searching of the above website and you can locate both the statistics of applicants and matriculants. All of your questions concerning the structure of curriculum can be answered with an email or phonecall to each podiatry school. In the majority of cases, school specific questions are best directed to the schools themselves as there is a tendency for people to really only know about their own school.

All podiatry residents are now required to do a 3-year residency with an emphasis on surgery. It has been stated on this forum that not all surgical residencies are equal when it comes to the volume of surgery and the quality of instruction received.

When you ask about the externships you might also consider asking how many externships a student is allowed to do, the length of the externships, whether the externships can be conducted out of state, where other students have done their externships etc. I interviewed at a school which indicated to me they only allowed 6 months of externships outside of their system during your 4th year while another school informed me that I was free to do my entire 4th year where I chose as long as it met the curriculum requirements. While a whole year "abroad" might be more expensive, it would also allow increased opportunity to scout out residencies.

Hey guys! Jus gotta interview at Temple and I have a feeling I will get waitlisted...I think half the class is now full. Interviewer liked me with my LORs as well as my improvements academically, but he Saud the committee might want to look at my grad level spring grades....I assume he means I will get waitlisted....how does that process work?

Ps. Excuse the name, it was made awhile ago . Temple is def my number one choice

Hey guys! Jus gotta interview at Temple and I have a feeling I will get waitlisted...I think half the class is now full. Interviewer liked me with my LORs as well as my improvements academically, but he Saud the committee might want to look at my grad level spring grades....I assume he means I will get waitlisted....how does that process work?

Ps. Excuse the name, it was made awhile ago . Temple is def my number one choice

Don't stress yourself out till you know if you are wait-listed. When Temple accepted me they did so by snail-mail so you probably have a week or two to sit and simmer. If you are wait-listed and the paperwork doesn't indicate the exact specifics of the process you should call the admissions department and find out exactly what they want.

Questions that come to mind include: when will I find out if I am accepted, what are the criteria for my acceptance (qualifying and disqualifying), is there anything I can do to turn this "maybe" into a yes (such as retaking the MCAT which I assume you have taken, but given you are pre-dent you may not have), where am I on the waiting list (this may not be relevant if the class is only half full), will I still be required to make a deposit, etc.

Wouldn't worry about the waitlisting. When applicants are accepted, they almost always have applied to multiple schools and are sitting on at least a few acceptances. They can't go to all the schools. :D It will just take you a bit longer to hear the good news!

i have similar questions, if you know any answers pleaseeee answer

Ok gpa, good luck to u on mcats. U cannot leave podiatry witgout being surgically trained, it is now a requirement in residency. I wouldnt care about which school has earliest clinical exposure, and i thought all schools have 4th year externships?? May i also suggest looking into schools that take their classes with do/md students. The motivation to go over anything outside the foot feels diminished in both the students, AND the professors when the classroom consists only of students all geared towards podiatry but i imagine it to be different in classes combined with do/md students.

And here was my answer

Edit: i think all schools have 2 yr didactic 2 yr clinical. I wouldnt be concerned w the details of that though

And here was my answer

Edit: i think all schools have 2 yr didactic 2 yr clinical. I wouldnt be concerned w the details of that though

Many schools have didactic and clinical in the 3rd year (Ohio and Barry come to mind) and I know Scholl just changed their curriculum and are strictly a 2+2 school.

OP: There are only 9 schools, so you could check out each school's website and should be able to find your answer.

False, or at least not true for all schools in this category.