Content Review or FL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrButt2112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate to start one of those, "I didn't prepare like I should've so what should I do now?" threads but I'm kind of at a crossroads at the moment so I feel I have no choice. I'm a majority of the way through content review, but as of now, I'd finish up ~10-14 days before my MCAT (1/14). Do I finish up content and then take a few FLs or start FLs now and try to work in as much content review as possible? Basically, I'm wondering what my priority should be at this point. I'm working 20-30 hours/week until exam date so study time is somewhat limited.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, study time is not limited. I worked 40 hrs/week in the summer and put in 5 hours a day studying. You can easily put in more. No, I didn't have a life. I went to work at 8, got home at 5:15, and studied until 11. At this point, it's your only option, though.

Start taking full lengths now. You want to give yourself adequate time to adapt to how the MCAT is actually taken and not just practice passages. Start with one full length a week now mixed in with content review and then start hitting the FL's harder when that 10-14 days comes up.

You got this. You're still in a pretty good position with time. A month is a lot of time to prepare. Even with working part-time. Good luck!

HC, you're right. Unfortunately I work 10 hours shifts, but that still leaves me with some time before/after shifts to study. I think I'll start with my first FL this weekend then. Thanks, I really appreciate the response!

HC, you're right. Unfortunately I work 10 hours shifts, but that still leaves me with some time before/after shifts to study. I think I'll start with my first FL this weekend then. Thanks, I really appreciate the response!

Ahh, 10 hour shifts does kind of take up an entire day. Also, if you're looking for a few full-lengths to burn, be sure to take the GS #1 at mcat-prep.com and TPR's free MCAT (princetonreview.com I think). Also, if you buy the 8th edition of Kaplan's MCAT tests (on amazon for around $20, I think), you get 2 free online MCAT's. Or, if you do some searching online, you can find out how to get those 2 for free without the book (just requires a word). So, there are 4 tests you can take without dropping a dime if you'd like to save those AAMC's for later!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in complete agreement with @HCHopeful - don't be shy, start taking practice tests now because while practice is all the buzz individual passages can't tell you how well you'll perform when the pressure is on. You will learn a lot from reviewing your practice tests so the best option is to start them now, take practice passages on the weaker areas that the tests highlight, and continue your content review when you have time or when you feel absolutely certain that it'll be of greater benefit than using that same amount of time taking and reviewing practice passages. After all MCAT studying and the test itself is all about efficiency. Good luck!

Hi Dr. Butt,

Call in sick if you can. Do a combination of AAMC tests and content review. Make your content review super efficient and focus on getting the big picture and main points. Chad videos, and/or Examkrackers, and/or a tutor, IMO, are your best bets. Try for an AAMC test every week or at a bare minimum every other week, making sure you don't use them up until the week before your test.

For the record, are you going into gastroenterology?

Regards,

Gauss

I'd move onto FLs. You'll likely end up reviewing content you missed/forgot anyway during the post-test review. Keep in mind that it does take a decent amount of time to take a FL and review it.

I'd move onto FLs. You'll likely end up reviewing content you missed/forgot anyway during the post-test review. Keep in mind that it does take a decent amount of time to take a FL and review it.

True that. It takes a good 8hrs to review ps/bs of a full length