Contest: Name My Free Standing ER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM_Rebuilder

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am with a group of a few other doctors and we are building a Free Standing Emergency Room.

We need a name. I thought I would reach out to SDN!!

I wish we had a particular prize to offer to the person whose name we pick; I bet we can come up with something?

Anxious to see what this thread develops!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
"The Patient Satisfaction Attraction"

"Happy Endings" Emergency Care

You jest?

Body Shop - sure some folks will be confused and bring their cars there for repair... but you could offer that as a sideline.

What about "MedExpress?" Heh? Catchy, right?

"Hack and Slash Repairs"
"Outback Steakhouse" (or just call it what they all want to see: "We have blooming onions here")
"Percocet salesmen"

I guess the serious choice might be

RapidCare

The High Speed Widget Assembly Line?

Widgets R' Us?

If you really want to be progressive, cutting edge, and appear really hip with "patient-centered" care, call it:

"HealthCare On A Menu"

Whip up a catchy infomercial with a hip jingle as follows, to the tune of Fancy, by Iggy Azalea-

"Google your symptoms,
Cause you already know,
Select your treatment,
Pills-work-note, and off you go!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I see I started this off in a less-than-productive direction. My apologies Rebuilder.

How about 'Lone Star Emergency Department' on a serious note.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously, you would need onsite imaging... might as well call it a radiology department. And a cath lab for the genuine MI's that come in. Probably a small OR suite and recovery room for the serious traumas. Oh, and maybe a few ICU beds would be handy.

Sounds like you could call it... A hospital! If you don't have the capacity to treat emergencies, it isn't an ER. It is a MedExpress.

Last edited:
OMG. People seem to be trying to give serious answers. A free standing ER is called an urgent care center.

Otherwise, what do you do when someone needs more than a bandaid and a percocet? You know, like when any actual emergency hits the door?

Obviously, you would need onsite imaging... might as well call it a radiology department. And a cath lab for the genuine MI's that come in. Probably a small OR suite and recovery room for the serious traumas. Oh, and maybe a few ICU beds would be handy.

Sounds like you could call it... A hospital! If you don't have the capacity to treat emergencies, it isn't an ER. It is a MedExpress.
The overwhelming majority of hospitals in this country cannot perform caths or operate on trauma. Hell, my trauma center can't perform caths.
That being said, FSED are an attempt by EPs to take back some control in their lifes. If you have a problem with nursing or rad techs, and you own the building, you can fire them. Try that in your current hospital. You get to keep the overhead, instead of the hospital taking it while telling you to be faster with less staff.
And just like many hospital based EDs, FSEDs will transfer out a fair number. Doesn't make them any less emergency rooms. They can intubate, LP, suture "complex" lacs, and whatever else the urgent cares refuse to do. Some of them even have obs units, making them micro-hospitals.
But hey, don't let your ill-informed biases cloud your judgment any.

(No, I don't own or work at one)

Reactions: 1 users
Some of them even have obs units, making them micro-hospitals.

That was my point.

I will admit to being spoiled by having primarily worked at level 1 trauma centers, and now that you mention it I have noticed transfers in from EDs that made me scratch my head and wonder why they couldn't have dealt with that minor issue in their facility. I had always just assumed that they were patient dumping, not that they didn't have facilities to handle what I would consider to be minor issues.

Don't get me wrong... I don't have an issue with docs taking charge of their professional environment. I edited my post because I thought it sounded too critical of the idea. I am still just taken aback by the very idea of a free standing emergency department. I just genuinely don't understand how you can consider something to be an emergency room if it isn't the inlet to a host of services that are often needed, you know, emergently.

If I am having any real emergency, please take me to the full service hospital. Save the FSER the trouble of triaging me and packing me up to transport to definitive care. Time is heart muscle, time is brain, time is future function, and time is wasted with interfacility transfers.

EDIT: Your trauma center can't perform caths? Seriously? I'm not trying to be an ass... I just... what happens if you have an MI? How far do you have to go to access definitive care? I've never worked in a hospital that didn't have interventional radiology and a cardiac cath lab. Not even the peds hospital or the little 150 bed community hospital.

Last edited:
EDIT: Your trauma center can't perform caths? Seriously? I'm not trying to be an ass... I just... what happens if you have an MI? How far do you have to go to access definitive care? I've never worked in a hospital that didn't have interventional radiology and a cardiac cath lab. Not even the peds hospital or the little 150 bed community hospital.
The same thing that happens if you have an MI and are at one of the thousands of hospitals where they don't have cath labs (or worse, the places where they do diagnostic caths but not interventional ones). You get transferred. The heart center isn't far away, but it isn't onsite. Interventional radiology =/= cardiac cath capability.
Not everywhere is a big city. Lots of things are transferred for lots of reasons. Plenty of hospitals don't have surgeons, much less trauma surgeons. Neurology, nephrology, GI, etc. You do what you can with what you have.

Of note, FSEDs typically have Xray, CT, and US capabilities.

CareNow. It'd make a nice advertising slogan,

Clip of little Johnnie getting hit with a fastball at little league.

"When you need care now...We'll be there."

You sewing up Johnnie's forehead. Then pan out to him back in the game with a bandaid on his forehead and hitting the game winning home run.

That should get your middle class soccer moms lining up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Don't get me wrong... I don't have an issue with docs taking charge of their professional environment. I edited my post because I thought it sounded too critical of the idea. I am still just taken aback by the very idea of a free standing emergency department. I just genuinely don't understand how you can consider something to be an emergency room if it isn't the inlet to a host of services that are often needed, you know, emergently.

Thank goodness you edited. Tertiary care centers (not just physicians) are opening up free standing EDs (FEDs) left and right. The idea is to continually funnel patients (i.e. $$$) into your hospital system. My hospital has 3 of them, and they function as a full blown ED. I work at all of them, and we see arrests, traumas, STEMIs, CVA's, etc, the usual stuff, and urgent care. When I don't have the ability to personally fix something, I send it to the motherland. Patients love this because our wait times downtown can get a bit hairy. You don't need to have ancillary services INSIDE the ED to be considered an ED (i.e. OR, cath lab), you're confusing the rest of the hospital from an isolated area that is basically it's own critical care unit if need be. If someone comes via EMS, our paramedics know to bring the STEMI, Strokes, and Traumas to the motherland. All arrests go to the nearest ED, that is common knowledge. You have much to learn, young grasshopper. Try not to jump the gun

To the OP: I suggest geographic location Emergency and Urgent Care. Tack on "urgent care" to any name and you will get patients, since most insurances have a significantly lower copay for UC. If you keep it just an ED, you get ED billing codes only, which obviously reimburse better than UC coding, but maybe the volume won't be as high. Dunno which is right for your area but just a thought

Reactions: 1 user

Drip and ship, my friend. We have a cardiologist here whose job is to ride the ambulance with the patient and be the accepting physician at the Cath center thanks to a tight affiliation between our major teaching center and the national teaching Meccah a few miles away.

We actually have the same thing arranged with neurosurgery. We have a Neurosurgery team (attending and senior resident) in house 24 hours a day, but unless neural tissue is hitting the ER floor, they get a ride with Neuro surgery to the center down the road with a Neurosurg program.

Transfer happens.

Didn't know how good I have it.

I've heard residents talk about other places not being like it is here, but I guess I didn't begin to understand what they meant by that. I really thought OP was trolling.

OP, Good luck on finding the right name for your FSER. I liked the CareNow idea. The little Johnny commercial sold it.

CareNow. It'd make a nice advertising slogan,

Clip of little Johnnie getting hit with a fastball at little league.

"When you need care now...We'll be there."

You sewing up Johnnie's forehead. Then pan out to him back in the game with a bandaid on his forehead and hitting the game winning home run.

That should get your middle class soccer moms lining up.
But not until cleared by peds or Neuro that he's out of the window of second impact syndrome.

:)

(Of course that won't be in the commercial. That would be
t o o s c a r y .
Only the winning home run.)

Last edited:
Kidding aside, the concept of naming a business is a pretty serious one with significant money on the line, often with significant dollars being paid to marketing professionals to help with the decision. So, for me to try to throw out some well crafted name without knowing anything about the business, location, or patient demographics, would not likely be very good or well crafted advice.

Kidding aside, the concept of naming a business is a pretty serious one with significant money on the line, often with significant dollars being paid to marketing professionals to help with the decision. So, for me to try to throw out some well crafted name without knowing anything about the business, location, or patient demographics, would not likely be very good or well crafted advice.

Can I claim all of the above as further reasons I didn't take this thread seriously?

At best, we might be able to help OP think of something good, but to actually provide the perfect name with no sense of what will make this business stand out from its competition... improbable at best.

My experience is that freestanding ER patients often get definitive treatment more quickly than hospital based ER patients. This is because of the zero to little wait times in the lobby and the efficiency of the freestanding ER processes. We can get complete point of care lab testing done in 1o minutes and radiology reads in less than 20 minutes. I can have a complete chest pain work up in less than 30 minutes from the arrival of the patient through the door. At many hospital ERs, the patient is still waiting on the triage nurse to evaluate them after 30 minutes. We can get a full abdominal pain work up (labs, treatment, CT read, etc.) done in less than an hour.

At one of the facilities that I work, we also have better door-to-balloon times than the parent hospital ER. We can get an EKG and ambulance transfer (5-7 minutes away) faster than the lumbering, inefficient parent hospital can process the patient. We most definitely can get an inpatient bed hours before a patient waiting in the hospital ER can get one. Our patients can, in general, be worked up, diagnosed with an appy, and transferred to a surgical suite much more quickly than they could if they visited a hospital based ER. There they would have had to contend with both the lobby door-to-doc times and length of stay time associated with the inefficient hospital processes.

I have personally treated a ruptured AAA that I am sure got evaluation and transfer to the OR much quicker than they would have if they went to the local ER. I've also treated stroke patients who have walked out of the lobby of the local ER because the wait was too long.

The Freestanding ER model is a secular trend and one that will continue to grow in various forms throughout the country. You have to come to the realization that it is the same as a hospital ER except that the hallway to the OR or cath lab is a little longer (5-7 minutes by ambulance in my case). But when you account for the time savings based on wait time and length of stay, the travel time to definitive care is often inconsequential.

Patients that experience the privatized freestanding ER model (CMS non-providers), never willingly return to a hospital based ER.

I think that you are quite overthinking it, friend. Hell, the consultants do that - business, location, and demographics - and still come up with sucky names with poor recognition (or good recognition, and negative reactions - what's worse?). There's a place in Buffalo called "Kaleida Health" - when that came out in 1998, they said it was because "all the good names were taken" - and that is from the high $ consultants!

I mean, it's like the place on O'ahu - "Aiea". What does "Aiea" mean? It means "land division".

I mean, if your not going to use the formula,

"Location + 'Emergency' + center/department"

then it's probably going to turn out to be one of those goofy names anyways.

Twitt'ERmergency'LOLZ.

... because the vast majority of my young female abdominal pain (which is all night, every Thu/Fri/Sat night) patients are more interested in blogging or social-media-casting their "experience" than anything else.

Christ, sometimes... I hate children.

Twitt'ERmergency'LOLZ.

... because the vast majority of my young female abdominal pain (which is all night, every Thu/Fri/Sat night) patients are more interested in blogging or social-media-casting their "experience" than anything else.

Christ, sometimes... I hate children.
Catering to Millennials? Frightening business model. Maybe just remote FaceTime with them and e-prescribe with no brick and morter building at all. That's the only way to get their heads out of their phones, and it's low overhead.

Call it,

"Instagram-Laté Social-Media Spa (and emergency) Clinic"

Free $5 Starbucks e-card with each cash pay visit. They'll be hooked with that cutting edge "patient centered" approach.

Last edited:
Catering to Millennials? Frightening business model. Maybe just remote FaceTime with them and e-prescribe with no brick and morter building at all. That's the only way to get their heads out of their phones, and it's low overhead.

Call it,

Free $5 Starbucks e-card with each cash pay visit. They'll be hooked with that cutting edge "patient centered" approach.

This, sadly, already exists in a few Midwestern states (and now upstate NY) through United health. I forget the name of the service, but it's something akin to "nexus community'

They're hiring family med docs and ER docs to video chat with random United health customers. they can see (AND MODIFY) their medical record since United health runs the patient. And you can digitally submit prescriptions for the patient as well. If they're actually sick you can tell them to go to an ER.

All without a physical exam.

United Health pitched it as an unbelievable success in the Midwest eseociakly with patients under 65. I'm pretty sure physical exam and lab tests were sort of important in evaluation. But thanks to UH, I know I'm mistaken.

Call it,

For real, I can't get them to focus on giving a decent history or be actively involved in any other aspect of their care, because they're too busy Tweet'ing things like:

"Doc says I have a category FIVE ovarian cyst or something. OMG!"