Continue with Pre Medicine or quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WishfulMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started college in 2011 and have had a lot of set backs.
First semester of college my mom was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer, took 16 courses made all A's except for one F when I took my mom to her doctors appointments
A year later I had my appendix rupture and had 2 surgeries, very complicated and was in hospital over a month
Went two years with having pain and when I moved and finally went into a different hospital they saw remaining pieces of my appendix. So I had about 8 or 9 more W's on my transcript.
Anyway, right now I have a 3.7 gap and good clinical, shadowing and research experience from a couple years back but am now on academic suspension because of all my W's.
Is there anything I can do, or should I just accept that medicine won't work out?

Members don't see this ad.

Changed. Thanks.
But is it worth pursuing? Would I have a change of getting interviews and being accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have W's in all the classes, but I've spoken with the school a few times and they said that is all they could do.

I have W's in all the classes, but I've spoken with the school a few times and they said that is all they could do.
Make an appointment with the dean. Bring any documentation you feel comfortable sharing. None of the mid level administrators have any reason to do anything but deny your request. It's not their fault, it just isn't within their power to do anything else. Even if the W's remain, a strong, sustained subsequent performance can easily soothe the screeners when they have a good explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I have had students with full years of Ws. Life happens, and I'm very sorry to hear of your woes. You definitely have compelling explanations, and if you can maintain good grades from now on, you can demonstrate that these were indeed fluke and not the real you.

Concur 100% with my learned collague gyngyn as well.

Make an appointment with the dean. Bring any documentation you feel comfortable sharing. None of the mid level administrators have any reason to do anything but deny your request. It's not their fault, it just isn't within their power to do anything else. Even if the W's remain, a strong, sustained subsequent performance can easily soothe the screeners when they have a good explanation.

Reactions: 1 user
there ya go, advice from 2 of the best, most reputable people on this forum.

follow said advice and then get back to us/them.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'll be ok considering you have a good gpa and a compelling reason for all the withdrawals