continuing medical education for residency app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IMG who will be getting into the 2011 match.

I was wondering if taking Continuing Medical Educations (CME) courses can positively impact my IM residency interview/application?

any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an IMG who will be getting into the 2011 match.

I was wondering if taking Continuing Medical Educations (CME) courses can positively impact my IM residency interview/application?

any suggestions?

Not at all...IMHO. Rather get meaningful US clinical experience, that can help you get strong letters, and do not forget to ace your USMLEs. Everything else after that is the "add on"..these two are the most important factors for IMGs.

Agreed. I don't think CME classes will add anything to your application. There are other things you can do to strengthen your application as was stated in the post above.

PS. Despite my old screenname, I'm not a medical student. I am a 2nd year resident.

What would add meaning to your application for an IMG is clinical experience in the US, hands down. Granted, you probably know a lot in your country or area, but US residencies care that you spent significant time in US hospitals talking to American peoples. They want to know that you are familiar with the system and can adjust.

This would also help getting quality and strong LORs.