Controls 30 days for NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wanted to get an opinion on something. So someone comes in with a c2. Last filled 7/9 for a 30 day supply, when would you allow that fill if they have a history of early refills but not recently Recently, as in past 3 months, they've been getting it I guess technically a day early(for example:picked up on the 15th, 30 day month completely out by the 15th but picked up on the 14th.). Do you hold them to 8/8 (literally pick up on the day they have 0 meds) or 8/7?

Members don't see this ad.

State law is fairly clear about the 7 day rule. The controversy used to be "how far back to we have to go?" but the fact that the new PMP only goes back 6 months seems to point toward that as an answer. If your system goes back further, fine, but you won't be able to check any other pharmacies.

State law is fairly clear about the 7 day rule. The controversy used to be "how far back to we have to go?" but the fact that the new PMP only goes back 6 months seems to point toward that as an answer. If your system goes back further, fine, but you won't be able to check any other pharmacies.
Ok, so do you personally hold ppl to the day regarding the controls, like the example above if you do have record of early fill past 6 months?

Members don't see this ad :)
I follow the 7 day rule. If it's the first time they've ever had it filled, they can get it next month 7 days early. After that, they're held to the day. Or they can get it 1+1+1+1+1+1+1 days early. Or 2+5, 3+4, 1+4+2, etc. Seven days early total.

I follow the 7 day rule. If it's the first time they've ever had it filled, they can get it next month 7 days early. After that, they're held to the day. Or they can get it 1+1+1+1+1+1+1 days early. Or 2+5, 3+4, 1+4+2, etc. Seven days early total.
I guess my question is what is to the day in your pov. If filled on 7/9, when can they get it if exhaust your 7 day rule. Would you tell them to pick up on 8/8, or 8/7. I mean someone told me that I was being to strict by having them come in on the day they are out completely, for example 8/8. Raised a whole lot of issues with me

I tell them to come back on the day they run out. If they think I'm being too strict, they came take their prescription elsewhere. Obviously, it's taken on a case by case basis, and if they have a legitimate reason why it needs to be early (as long as it doesn't go over 7 days), then an early fill may be considered.

The "day it's due" is when they should have a week's supply at home. The fact that they say they're out is not your problem. It's entirely their fault.

Hopefully the chains or state board will add something to their systems to do this date calculation math for us. We input the days it was filled and the system takes care of the date calculations for the 7 day supply rule. So if there is a dispute between patient and rph regarding the math they can let the system back up the rph.

Just calculate in bulk. I tell patients and prescribers "Ms. Smith got 180 days worth of adderall in the last 5 months." It's simpler that way instead of nitpicking time of day of each pickup and scheduled dose time.

Is there drug control or someone at the board of pharmacy you could call and ask? Typically the people at CT drug control frown upon when you try to interpret the law yourself and come up with your own meaning, so I have a feeling NY would have a similar response.