Controversial extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deforestasian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a quick question.

I've been volunteering in a transgender health clinic for the past year, and given the recent issues with the transgender population in media/law/etc (ie North Carolina bathroom issues), I was wondering if this would be viewed negatively since it is kind of controversial?

I go to a far left undergraduate school and am really passionate about the work I am doing there, so I don't have any personal issues with the controversial nature, but I was wondering if I could get any input on if this could be viewed negatively, and if so, how to deal with it.

The clinic is also part of planned parenthood which is also controversial, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think it would be viewed more as a positive than a negative at "most" schools.

Reactions: 8 users
maybe at loma linda

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shows you're open to helping all types of people regardless of orientation, life-story, etc. Plus, with all the changes to society that aren't going away, we're going to need a strong, diverse workforce of physicians that are equip to effectively address the needs of all types of people. <--- you can use that in your activity description, PS, and interviews...

Reactions: 1 user
I think that—even with trans issues being somewhat controversial overall, and even with medicine being somewhat conservative—there is nothing too controversial about giving HEALTH CARE to transgender people (giving health care to people is, after all, a doctor's job). I'm not an adcom but I think you'll be fine.

And thanks for doing this important work!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
For sure include it

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

I have a quick question.

I've been volunteering in a transgender health clinic for the past year, and given the recent issues with the transgender population in media/law/etc (ie North Carolina bathroom issues), I was wondering if this would be viewed negatively since it is kind of controversial?

I go to a far left undergraduate school and am really passionate about the work I am doing there, so I don't have any personal issues with the controversial nature, but I was wondering if I could get any input on if this could be viewed negatively, and if so, how to deal with it.

The clinic is also part of planned parenthood which is also controversial, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any input!

If it is viewed as a "negative" at any school, would you really want to go there? I would include it since it shows you are clearly passionate about the social disparities of health!

Reactions: 3 users
If it is viewed as a "negative" at any school, would you really want to go there? I would include it since it shows you are clearly passionate about the social disparities of health!

Ah! This is a very good point! I hadn't thought about that.

On that note, other than Loma Linda, any suggestions on schools that might not view this sort of work favorably?

I hear this line of reasoning a lot. It may apply to schools like Loma Linda. But even the most liberal/social justice oriented schools almost certainly have at least a few interviewers or adcoms who would object to this sort of thing.

In short, anecdotes are not data and outliers exist. A progressive environment doesn't preclude the existence of a few conservatives who would react negatively.

That being said, I don't consider this a risky activity.

No, based on my experience, it's viewed positively. If a school had a problem with it, you probably wouldn't want to go there anyway because it wouldn't be a good fit.

Also feel free to message me and I can tell you the schools I was accepted to with a similar activity listed as one of my most meaningful

Absolutely do include it, this position demonstrates your social awareness in choosing to serve people who come from difficult circumstances. I have a few patients at various points along the path to a full transition and being able to make a difference in their lives feels good - exactly how a doctor should feel helping a patient in need.

This all the way. If a school rejects you based on that, that's a school you don't want to attend. If this is a passion of yours, and one you'd like to continue in med school (or if there isn't something like this already set up, then work with the powers that be to set it up!), you want to go to a school that will support you in that endeavor, not shut you down.