converging and diverging lens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When light is coming to a diverging lens, regardless of the pattern the light from the light source makes (diverging from a point, converging from a point or coming in parallel rays), the diverging lens will ALWAYS make it more divergent, right?

And same thing for converging lens. It will make it converge to a single point regardless whether or not the light rays are converging, diverging, or parallel before they make it to the lens. Of course, if the light source is within the focal length of the converging lens, then the converging lens will behave the same way as the diverging lens, correct?

Also, what type of glasses would be best used for someone who is nearsighted and for someone who is farsighted?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When light is coming to a diverging lens, regardless of the pattern the light from the light source makes (diverging from a point, converging from a point or coming in parallel rays), the diverging lens will ALWAYS make it more divergent, right?

And same thing for converging lens. It will make it converge to a single point regardless whether or not the light rays are converging, diverging, or parallel before they make it to the lens. Of course, if the light source is within the focal length of the converging lens, then the converging lens will behave the same way as the diverging lens, correct?

Also, what type of glasses would be best used for someone who is nearsighted and for someone who is farsighted?

Thanks.

Come on now. Haven't you seen the near sighted peoples eyes when they wear glasses? They are small. They typically make you look smart.
castner.jpg

concave

And far sighted have glasses that make your eyes look big and ******ed looking
4.jpg

convex

Its also in Wikipedia, this amazing new technology my friend told me about. Don't tell anybody, is apparently top secret.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_sighted

They even have a picture of the lens. Wow, isn't that amazing?

Last edited:
lol, what about the first half of the question regarding light rays?

If you're nearsighted, you want a divergent lens. If you're farsighted, you want a convergent. Farsighted glasses can be used a magnifying glass, therefore.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't focus on near objects when nearsighted because the image focuses on a point in front of your retina. Essentially your lens in your eye and cornea work "too hard"... Hence a divergent lens. Vice versa for far sighted.

Thanks! I need this question answered from my original post too:

lol at the pictures.. i dont think i will forget it now.. and divergent is reducing (small eyes) lol

I guess this half of my question goes ignored? :(

This calls for a science experiment, im excited!

For thin lenses, a converging lens will always bend light rays toward the "center". The exception is through the middle of the lens. All light that passes through the middle of a lens, no matter what angle of incidence, does not bend. It passes right through

Similar logic for diverging lens.

Edit: So the answer is: "yes except in the middle"

thanks for posting this stuff guys

i actually got solidified on the lens topic now, i wish yall would do the rest for physics also and i can finally get my 30 i always wanted :(